Old 17-04-2010, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What Animal Will Eat The Tops Off Onion Plants?

My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Rich

Old 18-04-2010, 08:22 AM
tel tel is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVP MAN View Post
My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Rich
Rabbits had the tops off mine
Old 18-04-2010, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN said:

My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Don't overlook cutworms. They love tender onion shoots and they don't
always leave cut pieces behind when they hit your onions.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 23-04-2010, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Rich

Mine don't have tops yet; I just planted them a couple of days ago,
very shallowly with the tips of the bulbs sticking out of the
ground. Something dug most of them up and scattered them about last
night. (I bet it was a squirrel.)

Bob

Old 23-04-2010, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:30:45 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Rich

Mine don't have tops yet; I just planted them a couple of days ago,
very shallowly with the tips of the bulbs sticking out of the
ground. Something dug most of them up and scattered them about last
night. (I bet it was a squirrel.)

Here in NY we plant bulbs in the fall, they begin to grow in spring as
soon as the ground thaws. Until they become established newly planted
bulbs should be covered with some sort of wire screen that can be
removed once more mature growth is achieved. My neighbor covers his
onions and garlic with a blanket of straw held down with a kind of
plastic screening. In spring once the bulbs show significant growth
then the screen and straw are removed. I've learned to do the same
with flowering bulbs, I place straw and chicken wire over my newly
planted daffodils. Even though critters won't eat daffodils some will
pull them up just to be sure. Once daffodils develop their roots then
they won't be pulled up to be checked, so it's only when first planted
that they need the protection. Daffodils and onion are in the same
family, alium.
Old 23-04-2010, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
[...]

I have raccoons who browse the mulch looking for worms. I've had no
problems since laying down 2" X 4" wire mesh. I won't be taking it off
because everything that I'm growing can grow throug a 2" X 4" wire mesh.
--
- Billy
Old 26-04-2010, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Rich

Mine don't have tops yet; I just planted them a couple of days ago, very
shallowly with the tips of the bulbs sticking out of the ground.
Something dug most of them up and scattered them about last night. (I
bet it was a squirrel.)

Bob

I checked on the onions today and a few of them were dug up again
(grrr), but not the whole row this time. A robin flew away as I
went out there; I bet he was pulling them up and I just thought it
was a squirrel. And it might be a bird picking the tops off of
EVP's onions.

I replanted them again and covered 'em with a layer of corn straw
that had been used as chicken litter. The chickens pretty well
shredded it, and it had a lot of dust and some feathers in it but
not much poop so it shouldn't burn the plants.

Bob
Old 29-07-2012, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:51:00 AM UTC-7, EVP MAN wrote:
My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Rich

I had the same thing happen in my garden yesterday. We too are within city limits and have the occasional raccoon & skunks and also some turkeys, but no deer or rabbits. We have dogs and cats that come into our yard, but that's it. Any ideas?
Old 22-11-2016, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 10:51:00 AM UTC-5, EVP MAN wrote:
My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and
told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town
and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes
through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this
has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother
onions???

Rich

The pinoglasiun smoll pond eats them to

[IMG] code is On

Onion tops wawwiz Edible Gardening 5 21-05-2015 02:36 PM
cutting onion (etc) tops? George[_10_] Edible Gardening 2 22-06-2011 12:24 AM
Onion tops white blotches? coykiesaol Edible Gardening 0 02-06-2011 06:30 AM
The Dr Hadwen Trust is the UK's leading medical research charity that funds and promotes exclusively non-animal research techniques to replace animal experiments Cerumen[_3_] United Kingdom 1 23-08-2007 05:57 PM
Onion tops [email protected] Edible Gardening 5 05-04-2003 04:08 AM