GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unknown tropical tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/214304-unknown-tropical-tree.html)

Karl-Heinz Rekittke 14-01-2017 03:25 PM

Unknown tropical tree

Hello!

A question from the German de.rec.garten-group:
Does anyone know this tree from North-Thailand?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/

It seems to me that here are more experts for tropical plants.

--
Thank you and kind regards,
Kalle

- Vögel und andere Viecher -
Happy Marder:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...liams%2020.mp4

David E. Ross[_2_] 14-01-2017 05:03 PM

Unknown tropical tree

On 1/14/2017 6:25 AM, Karl-Heinz Rekittke wrote:
Hello!

A question from the German de.rec.garten-group:
Does anyone know this tree from North-Thailand?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/

It seems to me that here are more experts for tropical plants.

I do not know what it is. However, it appears to be a vine climbing a
tree and not the tree itself.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

When the President of the United States makes a statement of
national importance, I want to see his face as he is talking.
At the least, I want to hear his voice. Presidents should
not be making public statements that are of no importance.

Donald: Stop tweeting. Otherwise, how do we know the message
really comes from you?

Karl-Heinz Rekittke 14-01-2017 07:35 PM

Unknown tropical tree

Am 14.01.2017 um 17:03 schrieb David E. Ross:
On 1/14/2017 6:25 AM, Karl-Heinz Rekittke wrote:
Hello!

A question from the German de.rec.garten-group:
Does anyone know this tree from North-Thailand?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/

It seems to me that here are more experts for tropical plants.

I do not know what it is. However, it appears to be a vine climbing a
tree and not the tree itself.

My idea was, that it is a kind of eucalyptus. But a masterclass from
de.rec.garten *) now found the right tree: Couroupita guianensis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couroupita_guianensis
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanonenkugelbaum

*) Dr. Gotthelf Wolmershäuser, with his nice garden, full of other Ericales:
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de/kontakt.html

--
Thanks and kind regards,
Kalle

- Vögel und andere Viecher -
Peppermint-Igel:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rmint-Igel.mp4

Jeff Layman[_2_] 14-01-2017 08:20 PM

Unknown tropical tree

On 14/01/17 18:35, Karl-Heinz Rekittke wrote:
Am 14.01.2017 um 17:03 schrieb David E. Ross:
On 1/14/2017 6:25 AM, Karl-Heinz Rekittke wrote:
Hello!

A question from the German de.rec.garten-group:
Does anyone know this tree from North-Thailand?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/

It seems to me that here are more experts for tropical plants.

I do not know what it is. However, it appears to be a vine climbing a
tree and not the tree itself.

My idea was, that it is a kind of eucalyptus. But a masterclass from
de.rec.garten *) now found the right tree: Couroupita guianensis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couroupita_guianensis
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanonenkugelbaum

Yes, it is a "Cannonball Tree". I remember seeing the tree in Singapore
Botanic Gardens many years ago. It is not a tree you want to examine up
close, as it drops its fruits without warning!

*) Dr. Gotthelf Wolmershäuser, with his nice garden, full of other Ericales:
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de/kontakt.html

Indeed. Gotthelf posted an ID request to uk.rec.gardening about 6 years
ago. There was a link to his garden website in the post, and I was
amazed at how beautiful the garden was, and what a wonderful variety of
plants were growing there.

--

Jeff

Sylvain 19-01-2017 07:03 PM

Unknown tropical tree

"Jeff Layman" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

Yes, it is a "Cannonball Tree". I remember seeing the tree in Singapore
Botanic Gardens many years ago. It is not a tree you want to examine up
close, as it drops its fruits without warning!

there are many to Sri Lanka Au Sri Lanka they eat the fruits.

the fruits are like some meat when they are not mature. That seem to be some
beef stew. once upon mature the fruits are like fruits.

I did eate it to Sri Lanka, and I can say you than we do not made the
difference between the beef stew and cannonball tree's fruit