GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identify Tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/214312-identify-tree.html)

David E. Ross[_2_] 15-01-2017 10:39 PM

Identify Tree?

Location: Southern California, Sunset zone 21, US Department of
Agriculture zone 10b

Photo: http://www.rossde.com/test/Lindas_tree.jpg

My friend asked me to help her identify this tree. It is growing at the
house she recently bought. Note the clusters of small purple berries.
It does not look familiar to me. Is it familiar to anyone else?

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

When the President of the United States makes a statement of
national importance, I want to see his face as he is talking.
At the least, I want to hear his voice.

Donald: Stop tweeting. Otherwise, how do we know the message
really comes from you?

Amos Nomore 15-01-2017 11:21 PM

Identify Tree?

On 2017-01-15 22:39:30 +0000, David E. Ross said:

Location: Southern California, Sunset zone 21, US Department of
Agriculture zone 10b

Photo: http://www.rossde.com/test/Lindas_tree.jpg

My friend asked me to help her identify this tree. It is growing at the
house she recently bought. Note the clusters of small purple berries.
It does not look familiar to me. Is it familiar to anyone else?

It looks like an elderberry.

Terry Coombs 16-01-2017 02:11 AM

Identify Tree?

On 2017-01-15 22:39:30 +0000, David E. Ross said:

Location: Southern California, Sunset zone 21, US Department of
Agriculture zone 10b

Photo: http://www.rossde.com/test/Lindas_tree.jpg

My friend asked me to help her identify this tree. It is growing at
the house she recently bought. Note the clusters of small purple
berries. It does not look familiar to me. Is it familiar to anyone
else?

It looks like an elderberry.

It's definitely not an elderberry . Tree is way too big , and the berry
clusters are the wrong shape .
--
Snag

Dan Espen[_2_] 16-01-2017 03:15 AM

Identify Tree?

On 2017-01-15 22:39:30 +0000, David E. Ross said:

Location: Southern California, Sunset zone 21, US Department of
Agriculture zone 10b

Photo: http://www.rossde.com/test/Lindas_tree.jpg

My friend asked me to help her identify this tree. It is growing at
the house she recently bought. Note the clusters of small purple
berries. It does not look familiar to me. Is it familiar to anyone
else?

It looks like an elderberry.

It's definitely not an elderberry . Tree is way too big , and the berry
clusters are the wrong shape .

One look and I thought elderberry.
Mainly from the distinctive fruit.

I haven't seen one in more than 50 years.
We had a stand of bushes, so they didn't look like that
tree, but I just checked Wikipedia and they cite trees 15 meters
(or 49 ft.) tall. The leaf shape matches.
So I'd still guess elderberry. In this case in tree form
possibly because it's in California.

--
Dan Espen

Terry Coombs 16-01-2017 03:32 AM

Identify Tree?

Dan Espen wrote:

Amos Nomore wrote:
On 2017-01-15 22:39:30 +0000, David E. Ross said:

[...]

The elderberries I'm familiar with are only around 10 feet tall max and
the fruit is different - here's a link .
http://www.ediblewildfood.com/elderberry.aspx
--
Snag

David E. Ross[_2_] 16-01-2017 03:46 PM

Identify Tree?

On 1/15/2017 7:32 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Dan Espen wrote:

Amos Nomore wrote:
On 2017-01-15 22:39:30 +0000, David E. Ross said:

[...]

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" says that the blue elderberry (Sambucus
mexicana, aka S. caerulea) grows 10-30 feet tall and 8-20 feet wide.
This species is the only elderberry (with one exception) that can take
the summer heat of southern California away from the coast. The
exception is a variety of the red elderberry (S. racemosa racemosa, aka
S. callicarpa), which has berries that ripen bright red.