Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

I see ads on Amazon for sprinklers which turn on briefly under
control of a motion sensor, intended to deter animals (deer,
raccoons, cats and especially dogs) from entering lawns and gardens.

The idea seems good, but I wonder how well (if at all) they work
for things like squirrels.

Anybody got tails to tell?

8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Old 07-03-2017, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/7/2017 8:56 AM, bob prohaska wrote:
I see ads on Amazon for sprinklers which turn on briefly under
control of a motion sensor, intended to deter animals (deer,
raccoons, cats and especially dogs) from entering lawns and gardens.

The idea seems good, but I wonder how well (if at all) they work
for things like squirrels.

Anybody got tails to tell?

8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

I know of a public garden that tried this at a koi pond to keep herons
and ducks away. The herons were eating young koi, and the ducks were
fouling the water. It did not work.

For squirrels that were killing two white mulberry trees in the same
garden -- eating the new shoots before the trees could get any leaves --
aluminum bands were wrapped around the trunks. Initially, the bands
were about 18 inches high; but the squirrels learned that a running leap
would allow them to clear the bands. When second 18-inch bands were
added to slightly overlap the first bands, success was achieved. I plan
to try this with my peach and loquat trees this year. I will wait until
about 2-3 weeks before the fruit is ripe.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, who was quoting someone else:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and
alternative truths.
Old 21-03-2017, 11:02 PM

Looking to get rid of the squirrels and get some entertainment Bob?

Seen it work for larger pests like neighbors dogs and deer, but never something as small as a squirrel.
Old 23-03-2017, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

ZacSpade wrote:

Looking to get rid of the squirrels and get some entertainment Bob?

Seen it work for larger pests like neighbors dogs and deer, but never
something as small as a squirrel.

How trapwise are fox (same as eastern red) squirrels? I've had pretty
good luck catching roof rats using a Raticator electronic rat trap,
which is fairly unobtrusive. I think it would likely kill
a squirrel _if_ it could be induced to enter the trap.

The landscaping around here is essentially an urban forest, so climbing
barriers on tree trunks won't have much effect; the squirrels can jump
from tree to tree (to building to fence....) easily.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska