Old 15-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Default Cat used our vegetable garden as a litterbox.

A few months ago, we were told to clear several newly planted containers (the long rectangular plastic ones) off our balcony as part of preparing for the entire building to get repainted. We put them in the backyard, which is shared by the downstairs units, and when we retrieved them three weeks later discovered that the neighbors' indoor/outdoor cat had left solid presents in one of the pots. It might have peed in there too, I don't know - we're in San Francisco and soil tends to dry out fast.

Only one thing (I think it's a carrot) ever sprouted in that pot (we aren't the most attentive gardeners anyway), but is the soil still safe for growing edible things? Leaf vegetables only? Fruiting vegetables only?
Old 15-03-2017, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2017-03-15 11:43:10 +0000, liezljayne said:

A few months ago, we were told to clear several newly planted containers
(the long rectangular plastic ones) off our balcony as part of preparing
for the entire building to get repainted. We put them in the backyard,
which is shared by the downstairs units, and when we retrieved them
three weeks later discovered that the neighbors' indoor/outdoor cat had
left solid presents in one of the pots. It might have peed in there too,
I don't know - we're in San Francisco and soil tends to dry out fast.

Only one thing (I think it's a carrot) ever sprouted in that pot (we
aren't the most attentive gardeners anyway), but is the soil still safe
for growing edible things? Leaf vegetables only? Fruiting vegetables
only?

I would not have a problem with eating any kind of edible plants grown
in that soil. I am a veterinarian.

Old 16-03-2017, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:43:10 +0100, liezljayne wrote:

A few months ago, we were told to clear several newly planted containers
(the long rectangular plastic ones) off our balcony as part of preparing
for the entire building to get repainted. We put them in the backyard,
which is shared by the downstairs units, and when we retrieved them
three weeks later discovered that the neighbors' indoor/outdoor cat had
left solid presents in one of the pots. It might have peed in there too,
I don't know - we're in San Francisco and soil tends to dry out fast.

Only one thing (I think it's a carrot) ever sprouted in that pot (we
aren't the most attentive gardeners anyway), but is the soil still safe
for growing edible things? Leaf vegetables only? Fruiting vegetables
only?

Toxoplasmosis (sp?) is one thing to be concerned about, primarily for
pregnant women. There may be other diseases that can affect people and
frequently carried by cats. I'd definitely be scrupulous about
cleaning what you harvest.

{My outside garden is used by lots of neighborhood cats}
Old 06-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miles View Post
[...]

I'd say just clean your veggies carefully and if no pregnant women eats them you should be fine!