Tulip bulbs

Old 13-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Default Tulip bulbs

Hey there! I'm new to the forum and new to gardening too I've become curious about it and want to plant some tulip bulbs I bought in Holland last weekend! Could you tell me how deep do they need to be planted and how often I need to water them? Thankyouuuu
Old 13-04-2017, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

sophiebi wrote:

Hey there! I'm new to the forum and new to gardening too I've become
curious about it and want to plant some tulip bulbs I bought in Holland
last weekend! Could you tell me how deep do they need to be planted and
how often I need to water them? Thankyouuuu

i'm not sure if you are talking about bulbs
that are not yet growing or actually growing
plants?

3 times the size of the bulb is a reasonable
guesstimate. soil should be not too heavy and
water only when actively growing. they do better
when allowed to dry out somewhat in the summer.
water well when planted.

tulip bulbs are best planted in the fall and
not the spring, but if they are actively growing
they may survive. do not be surprised if you do
not get the best results next year (bulbs that
are not yet planted will be very confused).

songbird
Old 14-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
sophiebi wrote:

Hey there! I'm new to the forum and new to gardening too I've become
curious about it and want to plant some tulip bulbs I bought in Holland
last weekend! Could you tell me how deep do they need to be planted and
how often I need to water them? Thankyouuuu

i'm not sure if you are talking about bulbs
that are not yet growing or actually growing
plants?

3 times the size of the bulb is a reasonable
guesstimate. soil should be not too heavy and
water only when actively growing. they do better
when allowed to dry out somewhat in the summer.
water well when planted.

tulip bulbs are best planted in the fall and
not the spring, but if they are actively growing
they may survive. do not be surprised if you do
not get the best results next year (bulbs that
are not yet planted will be very confused).

songbird
Thank you! I was talking about bulbs that are not yet growing, so I see it's not the best time to plant them...
Old 14-04-2017, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

sophiebi wrote:
Thank you! I was talking about bulbs that are not yet growing, so I see
it's not the best time to plant them...

y.w.

true.

if you plant them now they may or may not bloom,
but for sure the next year will be affected.

if you want a better solution i would plant
them now (water well) and then plan on replanting
replacements in the fall.

most spring flowering bulbs will be best when
planted in the fall unless there is a significant
note on the planting guides as to why they should
be planted otherwise.

songbird