Old 13-06-2018, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What soil for planters?

I am working on a new deck. You can see the plans he
http://donwiss.com/manuals/house/upper-deck-garden/

My first step is to buy soil. These being large planters I figured I would
buy garden soil. But the bags clearly state for in-ground use. That leaves
potting soil!?

I'm hoping to plant native perennials. Would they like potting soil?

Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/2018 6:43 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
I am working on a new deck. You can see the plans he
http://donwiss.com/manuals/house/upper-deck-garden/

My first step is to buy soil. These being large planters I figured I would
buy garden soil. But the bags clearly state for in-ground use. That leaves
potting soil!?

I'm hoping to plant native perennials. Would they like potting soil?

Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.

See "My Potting Mix" at
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. You will find
that it takes a large amount of sand and peat moss and much effort.
However, the results are usually excellent; and it does not cost much.

Note that you might have to adjust the proportions, depending on what
kinds of plants you are planting. For example, if you are in southern
California (as I am) and use native plants from this area, you will need
to increase the amount of sand relative to peat moss because our natives
require perfect drainage. You will also have to reduce the sulfates
since our natives are accustomed to alkaline soils. Etc, etc.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 13-06-2018, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018, "David E. Ross" wrote:

See "My Potting Mix" at
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. You will find
that it takes a large amount of sand and peat moss and much effort.
However, the results are usually excellent; and it does not cost much.

I'm in Brooklyn. While the Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa) would like a
sandy soil, I think most here would not.

I need 22 cubic feet of soil. Mixing it on the deck just isn't feasible.
There is no yard. There are no wheelbarrows.

After I posted I found this Raised Bed Soil:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/206667302

I can have 15 bags delivered.

Old 13-06-2018, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 21:43:24 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

I am working on a new deck. You can see the plans he
http://donwiss.com/manuals/house/upper-deck-garden/

My first step is to buy soil. These being large planters I figured I would
buy garden soil. But the bags clearly state for in-ground use. That leaves
potting soil!?

I'm hoping to plant native perennials. Would they like potting soil?

Assuming you'll be placing clay planters in those wooden boxes potting
soil should be quite adaquate. I would definately not be placing any
kind of planting medium directly into those wooden boxes
or they'd rot within the year.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 23:06:35 -0400, wrote:

Assuming you'll be placing clay planters in those wooden boxes potting
soil should be quite adaquate. I would definately not be placing any
kind of planting medium directly into those wooden boxes
or they'd rot within the year.

I certainly do plan to put soil directly in those planters. They are teak,
and I expect them to last more than a year.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Old 13-06-2018, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 23:50:27 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 23:06:35 -0400, wrote:

Assuming you'll be placing clay planters in those wooden boxes potting
soil should be quite adaquate. I would definately not be placing any
kind of planting medium directly into those wooden boxes
or they'd rot within the year.

I certainly do plan to put soil directly in those planters. They are teak,
and I expect them to last more than a year.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I used cedar lumber for on-ground raised beds and for compost
boxes and learned that it starts to rot away after a few years when
in contact with the ground - I thought it would last longer.
The upper parts that had some amount of air-drying,
were still solid after 10 + years ..
... not sure if teak is similar ?

Old 13-06-2018, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I am working on a new deck. You can see the plans he
http://donwiss.com/manuals/house/upper-deck-garden/

My first step is to buy soil. These being large planters I figured I would
buy garden soil. But the bags clearly state for in-ground use. That leaves
potting soil!?

I'm hoping to plant native perennials. Would they like potting soil?

Assuming you'll be placing clay planters in those wooden boxes potting
soil should be quite adaquate. I would definately not be placing any
kind of planting medium directly into those wooden boxes
or they'd rot within the year.

What sort of planters do they have at your HUD apartment, Sheldumb?

[IMG] code is On

faux pottery/planters??? Lee Gardening 5 08-11-2003 06:02 AM
Coconut Liner and/or rubber liner for window box planters Kelly Gardening 2 13-05-2003 11:08 PM
Source for Concrete-like Planters & Urns AuralFeast Gardening 2 07-05-2003 03:32 PM
Mixing soil for planters [email protected] Gardening 5 17-04-2003 03:44 AM
garden planters scarey_b Gardening 2 23-02-2003 04:27 PM