Old 28-02-2003, 10:39 PM

Default Hiding a chain link fence in Illinois

My wife and I live in northern Illinois and our neighbor behind us has
a chain link fence. It's about 50 feet long and we would like to
plant something along the fence line to hide it. Unfortunately, we
know absolutely nothing about plants or gardening.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what we can do?

Thanks in advance!
Old 28-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Karen Fletcher

wrote:

: My wife and I live in northern Illinois and our neighbor behind us has
: a chain link fence. It's about 50 feet long and we would like to
: plant something along the fence line to hide it. Unfortunately, we
: know absolutely nothing about plants or gardening.

: Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what we can do?

Go to a reputable local nursery that sells shrubs and get some advice on
what might make a good low-maintenance hedge for your location, something
that won't need much trimming or pruning. You can choose a single plant or
mix up your shrubs for something a little more interesting. If you're
looking for a quick coverup, though, shrubs aren't it since they will take
a few years to establish. Since it's your neighbor's fence you probably
don't want to be growing vines on it, so that leaves out some quick fixes.

If you have more money than time and knowledge, any landscaping company
can put in plants for you. Or, if you want the guaranteed low-maintenance
solution, you could put in your own, more decorative fence up against the
chain link.

As for knowing absolutely nothing, that is easily remedied by a trip to
the library or bookstore or even Lowe's ;-) Sunset, Burpee, and Ortho all
put out inexpensive paperback books on shrubs that will give you all the
info you'll need plus pictures. But your very best bet is to bribe a
friend, relative or neighbor who gardens to give you some one-on-one
advice and assistance. Most gardeners are easily bribed with food rewards
;-)

-- Karen

The Garden Gate
http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002

Old 01-03-2003, 09:15 AM
gregpresley

If evergreen ivy (probably the cultivar named baltic) is hardy in your area,
it could eventually cover the entire chain link fence with year-round
greenery. It might suffer some winter-burning in your area though, so check
with local gardeners. You could also plant a narrow hedge plant, like
arborvitae very close to the fence line. The foliage will grow right through
the links and disguise it completely. If your neighbor doesn't like them ,
he can always prune them right up to the chain links. It won't harm the
plants.
"simy1" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
My wife and I live in northern Illinois and our neighbor behind us has
a chain link fence. It's about 50 feet long and we would like to
plant something along the fence line to hide it. Unfortunately, we
know absolutely nothing about plants or gardening.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what we can do?

Thanks in advance!

If he lets you, some Concord vines or hardy kiwi vines will cover that
thing quickly.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Suggest you first ask your neighbours if they would object to something
growing thru their fence......like ivy as mentioned elsewhere......if a
negative response then you are free to plant to your total liking....if you
have enough room, Leylandii cyprus makes a wonderful looking screen if it
survives your area......just allow it to grow.......they do grow tall and
swift........my past neighbour totally regrets being unco-operative as they
are now faced with a light blocking Leylandii hedge.........beautifull
looking tho......the living fence, three years old is around 18 feet and
growing.......HW.

Old 01-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Snowfeet1

I live in Dallas and Hyacinth Bean Vines do great climbing on fences. I got
the plants from my aunt in Louisville and they just fine there too. She has a
fence about 30' long and 5 ' high - they reseed themselves there every year but
I have to replant seeds each spring. They climb 8' here on our fence -
beautiful plants.

[IMG] code is On

chain link fence query RB Lawns 2 27-02-2005 05:27 PM
What should I rotate around tall chain link fence? James Edible Gardening 7 30-06-2004 03:09 PM
Boston Ivy on a Chain Link Fence? Jeff Gardening 2 08-09-2003 06:42 AM
Best vines to cover a chain link fence Logic 3:16 Gardening 2 20-05-2003 12:32 PM
Painting Chain Link Fence AuralFeast Gardening 7 06-05-2003 02:20 AM