Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Kat

Default How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc

Can you follow directions?
If you do not like bugs and do not want to spend an hour each day washing
them off with a hose, or squishing them between your fingers, read on. If
you do, fine. Follow directions, and DO NOT read further. This post is not
for you.
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
To eliminate the above bugs, buy a bottle of Diazinon Plus, and a pump
garden sprayer. Mix according to directions. Spray house and outbuilding
eves, outside walls, the foundation, and the ground about 2 feet around it.
Only a very light spray is needed, as bugs that eat or even walk on the wet
or dried spray will go away or die. Usually only needs done once in spring
to keep spiders and wasps from building nests. Dry Diazinon crystals
scattered in flower beds and gardens from time to time kills/keeps the other
bugs away from there too. It is not a systemic poison, and will not be
absorbed by plants, although there are poisons that are designed for flowers
and vegetables that do that safely too. Follow directions. Poisons are
serious stuff that work extremely well. Just follow directions.

I do not in any way gain from 'advertiseing' ANY product, but I do enjoy my
nearly bug free gardening!

Anyone who flames this post clearly cannot follow directions, and should not
be allowed near anything more harmful than dish soap.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 PM
V_coerulea

Diazinon is not a cure-all. As a matter of fact, some plants will not
tolerate it. Hibiscus are one that comes to mind right away. Foliage is
deformed and growth stunted if not outright killed. My experience shows that
the sensitivity varies with variety but all respond negatively. I've read
about large jade trees killed by Malathion. This seems to be the same idea.
Use pesticides responsibly and according to directions. If you use them on
other than what they're listed for, you're responsible not the producer.

Old 13-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Beecrofter

Diazinon was safe, now it isn't

December 5, 2000

TO: Garden writers

FR: Sean Gray, Environmental Working Group Pesticide Policy Analyst

New EPA decision phasing out diazinon

Within the last six months, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(US EPA) has sharply restricted the nation's #1 and now #2 home use
insecticides, Dursban and diazinon. Both these chemicals are
organophosphates, or nerve gas derivatives, and the EPA determined
that they were too dangerous to use in the home and especially around
children. But, the removal of Dursban and diazinon from the
marketplace means gardeners nationwide will be asking you about better
ways to keep unwanted pests out of their garden.

So, how can your readers protect their gardens from bugs?

While organic gardening is a sustainable alternative, gardeners might
still want synthetic pesticides for a variety of reasons. The best
answer is to use a pesticide specific to the insect rather than a
massive application of a powerful toxin. For specific problems that
cannot be solved without synthetic chemicals, there are a variety of
new "reduced risk" and bio-pesticides. These new pesticides are
usually safer for humans and affect only the target pest (and closely
related organisms). The EPA is currently in the process of creating a
web site with information about these reduced risk pesticides, but it
won't be ready until sometime in 2001.

As an example, the EPA suggested alternatives for dealing with
termites after the decision to ban Dursban. Their list included some
of the "reduced risk" pesticides mixed with some pyrethroids and
synthetic pyrethroids. (However, we should note that pyrethroids
should not be used near open water due to acute toxicity to
shellfish.) The EPA recommended anything from the following list for
termites: permethrin, cypermethrin, imidacloprid, fipronil,
bifenthrin, esfenvalerate, deltamethrin, cyfluthrin, or bait systems
using sulfluramid, hexaflumeron, diflubenzuron, or hydramethylnon.

For non-synthetic and organic alternatives, the Northwest Coalition
for Alternatives to Pesticides has created fact sheets of non-chemical
alternatives for a variety of different pest problems. These should be
your first source when responding to questions about alternatives to
Dursban and diazinon. The information is available online at
http://www.pesticide.org/factsheets.html, and there is also a link on
our website, http://www.ewg.org.

Despite their popularity, Dursban and diazinon have now been
determined unsafe for the men, women, children, and infants who come
into contact with them. This contradicts the repeated safety
assurances over the years from EPA and the pesticide industry. If
Dursban and diazinon are unsafe now, then they've ALWAYS been unsafe.
If the 1996 Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA), the law that ordered
the systematic safety evaluation of each pesticide, had been in place
in the 1940's when these pesticides were introduced, they never would
have been registered.

Dursban and diazinon belong to the family of insecticides known as
organophosphates (OPs). OPs were derived from World War II chemical
warfare and act as neurological toxins on insects, mammals, and even
humans. In humans, they inhibit the production of an enzyme, acetyl
cholinesterase, which keeps your brain and nervous system functioning
smoothly. Minor exposures may lead to headaches, nausea, dizziness,
weakness, and drowsiness. More serious exposure can cause comas,
seizures, and death. Infants and children are especially at risk to
low doses because relatively small doses of OP pesticides can affect
nervous system development.

Since OPs work on individual organisms, effective use requires heavy
and repeated applications of the insecticide. These repeated broad
application techniques lend themselves to excessive human exposure
even when following the package directions. For example, in the
Preliminary Occupational and Residential Risk Assessment for Diazinon
published by the EPA, application of diazinon by a home gardener
provided exposures up to 3500 times a "safe" dose (20x for a push
spreader, 288x for a spray wand, and 3500x for applying with a
paintbrush).

Even though today's agreement will allow diazinon to be manufactured
until 2003, we don't think the risks of diazinon to home gardeners,
their families and their pets are worth it. We recommend all gardeners
stop using products containing the chemical immediately. We hope you
will urge your readers to do the same.
Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
LeeAnne

yes yes, kill everything, pave the rainforest and your lawn while you're at
it.

If you do not like bugs - DON'T GARDEN.

Old 13-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Anonymo421

From: "LeeAnne"
Date: 5/13/2003 9:02 AM US Mountain Standard Time
yes yes, kill everything, pave the rainforest and your lawn while you're at
it.

Someone's off her meds again....

Old 14-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Kat

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
yes yes, kill everything, pave the rainforest and your lawn while you're

at
it.
If you do not like bugs - DON'T GARDEN.

You my dear, may raise a huge buzzing bug bed for all I care. But if your
spiders and paper wasps cross my property line.......AAAAAAARRRrrrrrrgggggg
!!!*plop* (squiggle squiggle squiggle).

Old 14-05-2003, 03:08 PM
LeeAnne

I've just never understood the mentality behind killing creepy crawlies.
Don't you understand that they are good? I work in my garden for hours
surrounded by bees and wasps and all kinds of spiders large and small. Sure
they'll make me 'eek' every now and again if they startle me -- but there is
nothing more satisfying than seeing a big fat spider eating some other kind
of garden nasty that would otherwise be eating my plants.

Do you kill the snakes and toads and frogs? What about the birds and
squirrels and chipmunks?

Start messing around w/killing certain things and you'll throw off your
balance. If you're using poisons then you'll be killing everything.

Old 14-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Bill Spohn

Do you kill the snakes and toads and frogs? What about the birds and
squirrels and chipmunks?

No, but I've harboured dark thoughts about the racoons that tear up my
pond........
Old 14-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Kat

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
there is
nothing more satisfying than seeing a big fat spider eating some other

kind
of garden nasty that would otherwise be eating my plants.

I do my own dirty work, and eliminate the middle man.

Old 14-05-2003, 06:20 PM
mmarteen

I can take take most creepy crawlies but earwigs. They are just plain evil
in my book. Ate a whole stand of white marigolds from the inside out a
couple years ago. Also their "balance" is easily thrown off by too much damp
and then they infest everything including the house where I am the only
natural predator and not too effective at that.

mm

Old 15-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Pam

Geez! Now we have chemical trolls - what next?

BTW, Ms Kat, diazinon is no longer available for household use, as it is a
rather dangerous neurotoxin with cumulative effects resulting in brain damage.
But apparently it is already too late for you........

Old 15-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Lar

In article , grdngal48
@attbi.com says...
BTW, Ms Kat, diazinon is no longer available for household use, as it is a
rather dangerous neurotoxin with cumulative effects resulting in brain damage.
But apparently it is already too late for you........

Kat, promise Pam that you will not over expose yourself
to unrealistic amounts day after day so that your brain
stay fit as a fiddle.

--
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 15-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Kat

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..
In article , grdngal48
@attbi.com says...
BTW, Ms Kat, diazinon is no longer available for household use, as it

is a
rather dangerous neurotoxin with cumulative effects resulting in brain

damage.
But apparently it is already too late for you........

Kat, promise Pam that you will not over expose yourself
to unrealistic amounts day after day so that your brain
stay fit as a fiddle.

--
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Ok.
Thank you Pam, for your gentle concern. I have been, and will be
careful in it's use. I will start now to find the next best deadly chemicals
to use on my bugs when I can no longer find my toxin of choice.

Old 16-05-2003, 06:20 PM
dragonthief

I second that! I recently moved and have a new garden. I soon
discovered a *serious* spider problem. Vast numbers of the damned
things, and they creeped my out... but I thought... Why's that then?
My garden is close to reservoirs and marsh land... and the air is
thick with midges and the like. The spiders keep their numbers down. I
did need to combat the spiders to a degree, though, so I installed a
bird table. The birds keep down the excess of spiders, the spiders
keep down the excess of midges, and the birds hop about providing
colour and singing to me and I *love* my garden and all things in it!

Old 16-05-2003, 11:56 PM

call terminex
thats what i did last year when i first saw them everywhere. since then =
i havent seen any bugs in my house yet. they do great job.

"Kat" wrote in message =
[...]

=20