Old 23-01-2003, 04:33 PM
mmarteen

Default zone 3 & 4 garden advice sought

I am technically in zone 4a, Minneapolis, MN USA but this winter has been
very odd. In fact, of the 7 winters I have endured in this fair city each
has been fairly unique. 3 winters had barely any snow. One was extremely
mild, temperature wise and the other two had at least 2 weeks of hideously
cold weather, with temps well below 0, and in the 20s and 30s below with
windchill, so very cold and very windy. I have been very lucky with the
perennials that I have planted and haven't really mulched them. I have a
nice hidcote lavender that has come back every year. I am less certain this
year because of the bitter temps with no snow cover. I'll use it as a test
case. I don't really grow any tender perennials, to keep maintenence low.

I am wondering what I should do for the future in my new garden (we are
moving this spring). Should I plan to mulch every year in Oct? Our coldest
weather generally doesn't show itself until January. Could I wait until
Dec. and mulch if the snow cover is too light or is this too risky? What do
other people do?

And what is the best bang for the buck on mulch for these conditions? I've
heard that leaves generates mold, as does straw/hay. Bark mulches are kind
of expensive if you use them extensively.

mm

Old 23-01-2003, 05:30 PM
clc

"Personally", even though I'm in Central IL (Z5), I mulch all of my
perennials every late fall with maple leaves. (And yes, I know I'm supposed
to use any kind of leaf except maple because they tend to mat so badly. I
don't pack them, I just let them land where they may when I rake them into
the garden.)

Then around mid-end of March I start pulling the leaves off - a bit at a
time (just in case we happen to get a late season cold snap).

Cheryl

Old 23-01-2003, 06:18 PM

the years I was there I endured one year of -25 during december for a week (not
talking wind chill either). mulch earlier rather than later.
my mother uses straw hay mulch.
I am really getting into putting up simple temporary greenhouses over everything. I
have a koi pond that is 2.5 feet below ground, 1.5 feet above. I put a lean to over
the pond and run a bucket filter in there and the water does not freeze all winter.
it doesnt freeze because there is no evaporation of water, so all the heat coming
from the dirt into the water stays in the pond. Ingrid

"mmarteen" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:33:47 -0600, mmarteen wrote:
I am technically in zone 4a, Minneapolis, MN USA but this winter has been
very odd. In fact, of the 7 winters I have endured in this fair city each
has been fairly unique. 3 winters had barely any snow. One was extremely
mild, temperature wise and the other two had at least 2 weeks of hideously
cold weather, with temps well below 0, and in the 20s and 30s below with
windchill, so very cold and very windy.

Yes, all are absolutely typical.

I am wondering what I should do for the future in my new garden (we are
moving this spring). Should I plan to mulch every year in Oct? Our coldest
weather generally doesn't show itself until January. Could I wait until
Dec. and mulch if the snow cover is too light or is this too risky? What do
other people do?

Me, myself, and I, I'd be over at the Minnesota Arboretum in Chanhassen,
soaking up as many classes on perennials and low-care plants for your
climate as possible. http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/ I'd also
be reading and rereading and planning from the plant lists in Leon Snyder's
three books, Gardening in the Upper Midwest, Flowers for Northern Gardens,
and Trees and Shrubs for Northern Gardens.
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/S/snyder_trees.html

Kay Lancaster who grew up on the cusp of 4A

Old 23-01-2003, 11:52 PM
mmarteen

I am a member of the hort. society (now) and have been to the landscape
arboretum, both great institutions. I tend to grow only hardy perennials
and stuff that reseeds really well. But even hardy perennials are defined
as "hardy" based on the supposition of snow cover, I think.

December probably is too late. I guess I am worried about mulching stuff
too early--we've also had heat waves in October, with temps in the 70s.
Wouldn't that generate a mildew problem? Maybe stacking and unstacking, as
was suggested is a good solution.

mm

Old 24-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Mahsamatman

We are in 4a also. Best thing to do is stick with the hardier plants,
annuals,
and bulbs that you dig up each year then replant (dahlia, glads, etc). We
have a few marginally hardy roses, grapes, and berries that we mulch with
straw each fall. There are plenty of plants that can take a colder than
average, less snowy than average winter without damage. Best thing to
do is stick with them.

Straw works fine as a winter mulch. It's cheap and you can place it in
early November and take it out in spring as soon as the ground is dry enough
to get at it without sinking into the mud. That way no trouble with
disease.

This isn't really a test winter, yet, no snow to be sure but temps only in
the
mid teens below zero, it's the odd one with the no snow and -25 below
zero that will tell you which plants are hardy.

Sam

Old 24-01-2003, 02:26 PM
clc

I know the one year I bought straw to use as mulch it was FULL of weed seeds
that settled into my gardens. Never again!

Cheryl
. ..

Old 30-01-2003, 01:26 AM
CWilde

I'm just a little bit warmer than you, Iowa zone 4/5. I mulch mid to late
November with leaves. I've used both shredded and unshredded. I rake them
off in April when the ground starts to warm up. If I don't get them off soon
enough my first spring bulbs look like celery, blanched. I've never had any
problems with mold/mildew.

I too grow mostly hardy perennials. From what I've read, the biggest reason
to mulch is to keep your ground at more of an even temperature, to protect
the plants from heaving as the ground freezes and thaws.

Personally I wouldn't recommend oat straw unless it's sat outdoors at least
a year. Enough oats cling to the straw that you have all kinds of volunteer
"grass".

Carlotta