Old 18-05-2003, 11:08 PM
James Eick

Default How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties

I just put in a lot of railroad tie steps in my sloped yard. I did this in
the winter (California) and now the sun is out and all the railroad ties are
oozing creosote. I tried cleaning with gasoline but the creosote just came
back and clean up was a mess. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean
them or possibly put some other material over them so I can use the steps?

Thanks - Jim

Old 18-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:11:36 GMT, "James Eick"
wrote:

I just put in a lot of railroad tie steps in my sloped yard. I did this in
the winter (California) and now the sun is out and all the railroad ties are
oozing creosote. I tried cleaning with gasoline but the creosote just came
back and clean up was a mess. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean
them or possibly put some other material over them so I can use the steps?

Thanks - Jim

Creosote is forced into the timber under pressure to preserve the
wood, the only cure is time, and we are talking many many years here.

All the gasoline would do is wash off the surface, it would soon be
replaced by more creosote oozing to the surface.

You could try sand on them, not particularly scenic but workable.

Dave

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern
Old 19-05-2003, 02:56 AM
vincent p. norris

I tried cleaning with gasoline....

Sorry I can't help you, but adding gasoline to your environment is not
a good idea.

vince norris
Old 19-05-2003, 05:32 PM
bryan lafleur

Creosote is forced into the timber under pressure to preserve the
wood, the only cure is time, and we are talking many many years here.

All the gasoline would do is wash off the surface, it would soon be
replaced by more creosote oozing to the surface.

Mr. Fouchey said it right, nothing you can do will prevent the
saturated creosote from oozing until it is ready to. One problem with
using them for steps is getting the creosote tracked in to the house.

Bryan
Old 20-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Beecrofter

"James Eick" wrote in message ...
I just put in a lot of railroad tie steps in my sloped yard. I did this in
the winter (California) and now the sun is out and all the railroad ties are
oozing creosote. I tried cleaning with gasoline but the creosote just came
back and clean up was a mess. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean
them or possibly put some other material over them so I can use the steps?

Thanks - Jim

Do the same thing you would do for new asphalt- sprinkle coarse sand
on them.
You will track a lot less goo that way.
Barring that you could fasten 1" decking to the tops but that would
still leave the faces exposed.
Putty knife for the big blobs and then some sand would be my choice.

Old 22-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"James Eick" wrote in message
I just put in a lot of railroad tie steps in my sloped yard. I did this

in
the winter (California) and now the sun is out and all the railroad ties

are
oozing creosote. I tried cleaning with gasoline but the creosote just

came
back and clean up was a mess. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean
them or possibly put some other material over them so I can use the steps?

Buy a box of donuts. Put them on your counter for one week. Then, bring them
to the numbskull who suggested railroad ties, and took your money. Tell him
"thanks, a-hole".

[IMG] code is On

Creosote Ties SteveB[_6_] Gardening 18 13-06-2008 09:47 PM
Creosote railroad ties SteveB[_6_] Edible Gardening 1 09-06-2008 07:06 PM
Railroad Ties for Landscaping James Black Gardening 13 02-06-2005 04:16 AM
Old railroad ties needed Jason Jones North Carolina 3 09-06-2004 06:07 PM
where can one buy new or used railroad ties MFA North Carolina 8 13-05-2003 02:56 AM