Old 14-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Treetops

Default Transplanting PJM Rhodos

I need to move my PJM Rhodos; too much sun and crowded. They are just starting to blossom (zone 4) and seem fairly healthy.
What is your opinion on moving them as soon as flowering is completed and before the full heat of summer?
Any tips on doing this?

Thanks
Old 15-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Steve Henning

"Treetops" wrote:

I need to move my PJM Rhodos; too much sun and crowded. They are just
starting to blossom (zone 4) and seem fairly healthy.
What is your opinion on moving them as soon as flowering is completed
and before the full heat of summer?

When transplanting a large plant several steps should be followed.
First, it is best to stimulate a tight root ball by root pruning the
plants to be moved about a year before moving. This is accomplished by
cutting a circle around the plant stem with a shovel to cut off roots
that extend beyond this point. This radius is usually slightly smaller
than half way to the drip line. Second, it is best to move when the
plant is dormant and not stressed. This would be in the spring and
fall when the plant is still dormant but the soil is not frozen.
Moving in the fall before the ground freezes is preferable if you
don't have a problem with frost heaving. Sometimes winter freezing and
thawing cycles can actually lift a transplanted plant out of the
ground where the roots are then desiccated and the plant dies. For
this reason, it is safer to transplant in the spring after the ground
thaws in climates where frost heaving is a problem. Third, take
precautions to preserve the integrity of the root ball. Tie the ball
together and support is so it doesn't fall apart. Finally, pruning the
top helps match the demands of the top to the capability of the roots
after they are stressed by the move. People have been known to cut the
top off wild rhododendron before moving and the plants have come back
with superior shape. This is drastic and not recommended for a plant
you don't want to risk loosing. Rhododendron and azaleas have dormant
buds beneath the bark which sprout to form new growth after severe
pruning, hence severe pruning which removes 1/3 to 1/2 of leaf area is
quite common when transplanting.

In general you can transplant your PJM's anytime, but by not following
the above procedure, you are increasing the set back they will take.
If they are stressed already, they may not recover.

In any case they will need watering for a while until they get
established. Don't overwater, but make sure they get water when they
start showing any wilt.

http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
http://members.aol.com/rhodyman/rhodybooks.html

Old 17-05-2003, 09:08 PM

yeah.. they are shallow rooted so water them well day 1, spray with cloud cover
(antidessicant) day, move em next day, plant em high, mulch them and keep em well
watered all summer. Ingrid

"Treetops" wrote:

I need to move my PJM Rhodos; too much sun and crowded. They are just starting to blossom (zone 4) and seem fairly healthy.
What is your opinion on moving them as soon as flowering is completed and before the full heat of summer?
Any tips on doing this?

Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 18-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Treetops

Dr-Solo thanks. It sounds like I can successfully transplant them. Flowering
should be finished in about a week.

What did you mean by "spray with cloud cover(antidessicant) day, move next
day"?
Also you said "plant em high". Do you mean the finished soil line should be
lower on the trunk than before transplanting? If so, why and by how much?
Newbie gardener.......thanks again.

"Treetops" wrote:

I need to move my PJM Rhodos; too much sun and crowded. They are just

starting to blossom (zone 4) and seem fairly healthy.
What is your opinion on moving them as soon as flowering is completed and

before the full heat of summer?
Any tips on doing this?

Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 18-05-2003, 05:44 PM

OK.. I hope we arent talking about rhodos that are 6 feet high, right?
go to the garden center and ask for anti-dessicant. spray it top and bottom of the
leaf, let it dry overnight. it helps prevent transplant shock and loss of
moisture.
forget lower on the trunk ... when you dig a nice large rootball (out to the edge of
the branches) you will not need to dig very deep. my rhodos are maybe 3 feet high
and only need about 18 inch deep rootball. actually, after digging around the plant
simply slip the spade in under the plant and rock it till it comes up. now plant
that so the top 4 inches are higher than the surrounding soil (unless this is a VERY
well drained area) and mulch heavily. the idea is you are going to be watering this
every day for a week, and then every other day for a week and you dont want the
rootball to be soggy ever. rather the water will drain well. unless your soil is
acid, mulch with acid forming mulches. Ingrid

"Treetops" wrote:
What did you mean by "spray with cloud cover(antidessicant) day, move next
day"?
Also you said "plant em high". Do you mean the finished soil line should be
lower on the trunk than before transplanting? If so, why and by how much?
Newbie gardener.......thanks again.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 20-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Treetops

Thanks Ingrid
Decided I better get a bit more detailed knowledge on PJM's.
For those who want more PJM info, this site (see culture) was very useful:

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/plantl...dodendron.html

Your input was certainly on the money........thanks again. Treetops

"Treetops" wrote:
What did you mean by "spray with cloud cover(antidessicant) day, move

next
day"?
Also you said "plant em high". Do you mean the finished soil line should

be
lower on the trunk than before transplanting? If so, why and by how much?
Newbie gardener.......thanks again.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] PJM Rhododendron roots Marty Haber Bonsai 1 24-07-2003 02:43 AM
PJM Rhododendron roots Harry in Iowa Bonsai 0 23-07-2003 11:23 PM
Prune PJM Rhodo Shrek Gardening 2 21-05-2003 01:56 AM
rhodos Raleighgirl North Carolina 3 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
PJM - Kerria Fix Trish K. Gardening 0 19-03-2003 06:20 PM