Old 21-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Bunny McElwee

Default Dianthus - Collecting the Seeds

I planted quite a few Dianthus in two window boxes and they all flowered
(and still are) profusely. However, now some of the flowers that are spent
are getting a green "bulb" where the flower used to be in them. I understand
this is where the seeds come from. After looking around on the web, I am
still unsure of how and when to collect the seeds to start more flowers
with. I open up the ones that have turned brown and they are all empty. I
have opened up several of the larger green ones and they are full of brown
seeds, but they seem to be soft, not dried up. Am I missing something? I
would like to collect the seeds if I can, as they flowered beautifully. I
don't know the exact type of Dianthus that they are although after looking
at how to collect the seeds, I am under the assumption that they are the
ones called "Pinks". So, can anyone tell me when and how to collect the
seeds from these plants? And do I need to do anything to them after I have
collected them (dry them out, freeze them, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

--
Bunny McElwee
President

'91 Mariner Blue - BlueFlash (we call her Blue for short)
License Plate - IXCLR8
Jackson Racing Cold Air Induction, Chrome Interior Accents, Racing Beat
Chrome Double Hoop Style Bar, FM Sway Bars, Heim End Links,
Koni Adjustable Shocks (lowest perch), JR Sport Exhaust, JR Cat,
Moss Headers, JVC MP3 Player, Bazooka Powered
Subwoofer with internal 4 Channel Amp, silly grin (driver and car!) and too
much more to list.

Old 21-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Ron McCurdy

Bunny,

Here is a website about planting pinks:

http://www.gardenpursuits.com/perenn...pinks2000.html

Also, I learned that they are winter hardy to Zone 3. And, there are
approximately 900 seeds per gram...so, they must be pretty small. I would
put the seeds on a porch to dry for a few weeks and then try planting
some...save some and put them in the freezer for a week...just in case the
others don't produce.

Regards,

"Bunny McElwee" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms? anm Edible Gardening 0 19-08-2009 12:27 PM
Dianthus: bacterial wilt, virus or something else? szozu Gardening 2 04-08-2003 06:22 PM
Dianthus dkra Gardening 1 24-07-2003 09:02 AM
Dianthus not growing MusicMax Gardening 1 01-06-2003 07:08 PM
I need help with my Dianthus! Dave Gardening 2 19-04-2003 10:32 PM