GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   apricot tree without flowers or fruits (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/29181-apricot-tree-without-flowers-fruits.html)

Lil 27-05-2003 05:20 AM

apricot tree without flowers or fruits

Not sure why my apricot tree will not flower or fruit. Is it a
question of maturity or have I not found the optimum condition for it?
Thanks in advance.

Lil

[email protected] 27-05-2003 07:08 AM

apricot tree without flowers or fruits

full size fruit trees can require 3-5 years before they produce blossoms. pears take
even longer. what kind of an apricot, where did you get it from? Ingrid

(Lil) wrote:
Not sure why my apricot tree will not flower or fruit. Is it a
question of maturity or have I not found the optimum condition for it?
Thanks in advance.

Lil

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Lil 28-05-2003 07:44 AM

apricot tree without flowers or fruits

Don't precisely remember what kind of apricot since the tag fell off.
I think I bought it from Home Depot about 4-5 years ago...Does it
help?

(Lil) wrote:
Not sure why my apricot tree will not flower or fruit. Is it a
question of maturity or have I not found the optimum condition for it?
Thanks in advance.

Lil

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Martin C. Jensen 29-05-2003 06:20 AM

apricot tree without flowers or fruits

Hit it with a baseball bat when it should be flowering the next time (I would
guess next spring). Hitting a tree with a baseball bat when a tree should be
flowering and isn't, some how shocks the tree into flowering sometimes. Someone
on this group thought that hitting the tree would injure the cambium layer of
the tree and the tree would work harder to repair that injury and thus get the
sap to flow more vigorously. I know people this has worked for. If the tree
won't flower, ya just might want to take a swing at it.

Marty

Marley1372 29-05-2003 06:20 AM

apricot tree without flowers or fruits

From: "Martin C. Jensen"
Hit it with a baseball bat when it should be flowering the next time

Lil, take that baseball bat and smack martin with it. It will probably do more
good than hitting your tree with it. Horticultural voodoo usually dosent hold
much validity. If your tree is small, youd probably end up breaking the tree
in half. Apricots are sensitive to late spring frosts. If the buds were
swelling and there was a frost, there is a good chance that they got nipped and
this is why you had no flowers or fruit.

Toad

Martin C. Jensen 29-05-2003 02:44 PM

From: "Martin C. Jensen"
Hit it with a baseball bat when it should be flowering the next time

Lil, take that baseball bat and smack martin with it. It will probably do more
good than hitting your tree with it. Horticultural voodoo usually dosent hold
much validity.
If your tree is small, youd probably end up breaking the tree
in half. Apricots are sensitive to late spring frosts. If the buds were
swelling and there was a frost, there is a good chance that they got nipped and
this is why you had no flowers or fruit.

Toad

Not much validity, but this practice works when all else has failed. And if you
would swing at the tree hard enough to break it then your not thinking plus this
tree is 4 -5 years old. While hitting a tree may not appease the horticultural
gods (toad), if you have nothing else to lose what the heck, this has worked.
If everything were by the book it would take some of the fun out of gardening.

Marty (by no means a horticultural god)

Marley1372 29-05-2003 04:08 PM

apricot tree without flowers or fruits

This morning I woke up and my car didnt start, so I hit it with a baseball bat,
because nothing else would work. Also my grass isnt growing in this one area,
later on ill probably go beat the ground a little!

Toad

Martin C. Jensen 29-05-2003 09:56 PM

apricot tree without flowers or fruits

A Horticultural God!
You don't like this idea because it could work and it has in the past. If you
can prove me wrong I'll listen but I have seen this work and you have done
nothing but poke fun at it. Usually the sign of ....

You win the argument, I've had enough and said all I wanted to about this.

Marty