A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Gardening Discussions » Gardening
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

apricot tree without flowers or fruits



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Lil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits

Not sure why my apricot tree will not flower or fruit. Is it a
question of maturity or have I not found the optimum condition for it?
Thanks in advance.

Lil
Ads
  #2  
Old 27-05-2003, 07:08 AM
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits

full size fruit trees can require 3-5 years before they produce blossoms. pears take
even longer. what kind of an apricot, where did you get it from? Ingrid

(Lil) wrote:
Not sure why my apricot tree will not flower or fruit. Is it a
question of maturity or have I not found the optimum condition for it?
Thanks in advance.

Lil




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endorsements or recommendations I make.
  #3  
Old 28-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Lil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits

Don't precisely remember what kind of apricot since the tag fell off.
I think I bought it from Home Depot about 4-5 years ago...Does it
help?

wrote in message ...
full size fruit trees can require 3-5 years before they produce blossoms. pears take
even longer. what kind of an apricot, where did you get it from? Ingrid

(Lil) wrote:
Not sure why my apricot tree will not flower or fruit. Is it a
question of maturity or have I not found the optimum condition for it?
Thanks in advance.

Lil




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endorsements or recommendations I make.

  #4  
Old 29-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Martin C. Jensen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits

Hit it with a baseball bat when it should be flowering the next time (I would
guess next spring). Hitting a tree with a baseball bat when a tree should be
flowering and isn't, some how shocks the tree into flowering sometimes. Someone
on this group thought that hitting the tree would injure the cambium layer of
the tree and the tree would work harder to repair that injury and thus get the
sap to flow more vigorously. I know people this has worked for. If the tree
won't flower, ya just might want to take a swing at it.

Marty

Lil wrote:

Don't precisely remember what kind of apricot since the tag fell off.
I think I bought it from Home Depot about 4-5 years ago...Does it
help?

wrote in message ...
full size fruit trees can require 3-5 years before they produce blossoms. pears take
even longer. what kind of an apricot, where did you get it from? Ingrid

(Lil) wrote:
Not sure why my apricot tree will not flower or fruit. Is it a
question of maturity or have I not found the optimum condition for it?
Thanks in advance.

Lil

  #5  
Old 29-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Marley1372
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits

From: "Martin C. Jensen"
Hit it with a baseball bat when it should be flowering the next time


Lil, take that baseball bat and smack martin with it. It will probably do more
good than hitting your tree with it. Horticultural voodoo usually dosent hold
much validity. If your tree is small, youd probably end up breaking the tree
in half. Apricots are sensitive to late spring frosts. If the buds were
swelling and there was a frost, there is a good chance that they got nipped and
this is why you had no flowers or fruit.

Toad
  #6  
Old 29-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Martin C. Jensen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits



Marley1372 wrote:

From: "Martin C. Jensen"
Hit it with a baseball bat when it should be flowering the next time


Lil, take that baseball bat and smack martin with it. It will probably do more
good than hitting your tree with it. Horticultural voodoo usually dosent hold
much validity.
If your tree is small, youd probably end up breaking the tree
in half. Apricots are sensitive to late spring frosts. If the buds were
swelling and there was a frost, there is a good chance that they got nipped and
this is why you had no flowers or fruit.

Toad


Not much validity, but this practice works when all else has failed. And if you
would swing at the tree hard enough to break it then your not thinking plus this
tree is 4 -5 years old. While hitting a tree may not appease the horticultural
gods (toad), if you have nothing else to lose what the heck, this has worked.
If everything were by the book it would take some of the fun out of gardening.

Marty (by no means a horticultural god)
  #7  
Old 29-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Marley1372
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits

This morning I woke up and my car didnt start, so I hit it with a baseball bat,
because nothing else would work. Also my grass isnt growing in this one area,
later on ill probably go beat the ground a little!

Toad
  #8  
Old 29-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Martin C. Jensen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default apricot tree without flowers or fruits

A Horticultural God!
You don't like this idea because it could work and it has in the past. If you
can prove me wrong I'll listen but I have seen this work and you have done
nothing but poke fun at it. Usually the sign of ....

You win the argument, I've had enough and said all I wanted to about this.

Marty

Marley1372 wrote:

This morning I woke up and my car didnt start, so I hit it with a baseball bat,
because nothing else would work. Also my grass isnt growing in this one area,
later on ill probably go beat the ground a little!

Toad

 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Walnut tree fruits wanted td United Kingdom 14 13-10-2011 11:52 PM
Tree with Purple Flowers BiG Orange Gardening 8 11-04-2003 04:56 AM
Culinary herbFAQ part 2/7 Henriette Kress Edible Gardening 0 31-03-2003 02:56 PM
Temperamental apricot tree Polar Edible Gardening 0 13-03-2003 06:45 AM
Culinary herbFAQ part 2/7 Henriette Kress Edible Gardening 0 28-02-2003 07:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.