Old 05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Krnysgirl

Default Should I deadhead lupines?

Hi,

I have planted lupines (improved Russell hybrid) for the first time
this year - Zone 6 - Southern Connecticut. The mature plant I bought
at a local nursery is flowering beautifully - the first spike is now
fading (from the bottom up) and the second spike is beginning to open.
My question..should I remove the fading spike or let it go? If I
remove it - will it produce more flowers or is there only one or two
flowers per plant no matter what?

Also..what happens to the foliage after flowering..do they frizzle up
or will the foliage remain green and lush till frost?

I also planted 30 lupine seeds in peat pellets in mid march and 25 of
the 30 germinated and I have 25 very healthy, happy baby lupines I
have planted around the yard and given away to friends. I don't
expect that they will flower though till next year..is that correct?

Diane Krny
Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

If you want seeds leave them alone. Otherwise remove the old flower stems.

What follows after flowers? Fruit do. That's basic botany, you silly goose.

If you keep the plants well watered, the leaves will persist. Do you have
well water?

Seeds planted this year will flower next year, at the earliest.

om...

Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:31:38 -0400, Krnysgirl wrote:

Hi,

I have planted lupines (improved Russell hybrid) for the first time this
year - Zone 6 - Southern Connecticut. The mature plant I bought at a
local nursery is flowering beautifully - the first spike is now fading
(from the bottom up) and the second spike is beginning to open.
My question..should I remove the fading spike or let it go? If I
remove it - will it produce more flowers or is there only one or two
flowers per plant no matter what?

You can remove it. I usually do. Mine are starting to poop out now, the
flowers are about 2 feet long and typically flop over and bend in half. I
clip those bent ones off. I have the purple/white one's. That patch
started out as 1 plant that took up about one foot of psace and now 3-4
years later it spred to an almost 3 foot patch with about 6-8 flowers that
get to be 2 feet long!

Also..what happens to the foliage after flowering..do they frizzle up or
will the foliage remain green and lush till frost?

They will remain green for awhile.

I also planted 30 lupine seeds in peat pellets in mid march and 25 of the
30 germinated and I have 25 very healthy, happy baby lupines I have
planted around the yard and given away to friends. I don't expect that
they will flower though till next year..is that correct?

Yup!

Diane Krny

Old 06-06-2003, 09:56 AM
gregpresley

Mine are in full bloom now (purple and blue varieties that I grew from the
seeds given to me by a friend). This is my first time growing these as well,
so I thank you for your question. I'm going to deadhead very soon. I've been
lucky so far - no aphids OR mildew. Our weather has been dry with low
humidity, so that's probably helping.
Unfortunately, I never expected ALL the seeds to sprout, and ALL the
sprouts to live, so I never thinned. I have a little lupine forest about 6 X
8 feet with 20 plants or so crammed together - plants 3 -4 feet tall with
blooms rising another 1 1/2 feet about that. I understand they don't
transplant well, but I'm going to have to try late in the fall or early in
the spring. Fortunately, they are from the legume family, so they are
enriching the soil with nitrogen (at least I hope they are).

Old 10-06-2003, 07:56 PM
SAS567

I understand they don't
transplant well, but I'm going to have to try late in the fall or early in
the spring.

A friend gave me one from her garden 2yrs. ago. She lives 200 miles away. It
transplanted just fine. It's in full bloom right now, purple & pink.
Sue in Mi. Zone 5