Old 30-01-2003, 03:40 PM
MC

Default Advice Re Pruning Broken Tulip Tree

I planted a tulip poplar about 8 years ago. The tree has grown really
fast - and by the fall of 2001 it was topping 30 feet tall. Unfortunately,
the top 10 feet or so broke off in a strong thunderstorm in September, 2001.
A few weeks later I pruned the main trunk back about 2 more feet, to get a
clean break. I also removed a few of the branches that broke off when the
top of the tree came down. FWIW, the trunk was about 4 inches thick at the
break.

Last summer the tree grew with it's usual vigor, and it also put out lots of
flowers. When the leaves fell in the fall it revealed that there are many
new vertical growing branches. A couple are growning off the main trunk
near the break, the 2 or 3 largest are growing off larger branches, but at
the base of those branches near the trunk of the tree, and easily another 10
or 12 small shoots are growing straight up from further out on the large
branches or from smaller branches.

Here's what I'm wondering - I would like the tree to grow tall. Would it be
best to prune back all but one or two of these vertical growing branches to
encourage upward growth? I'm worried that if I let thing go without
pruning, the tree will just bush out at break and never really get back into
the upward growth pattern.

Thanks in advance -

Mark Cassino
Kalamazoo, MI

Old 30-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Pat Kiewicz

MC said:

Here's what I'm wondering - I would like the tree to grow tall. Would it be
best to prune back all but one or two of these vertical growing branches to
encourage upward growth? I'm worried that if I let thing go without
pruning, the tree will just bush out at break and never really get back into
the upward growth pattern.

When we moved in here 12 years ago, we had a sugar maple which had somehow
lost its leader. We thinned out a most of the new, competing leaders and now
it is a normal looking tree with a bit of a jog in the trunk. If you aren't comfortable
going up the tree, and have some money available to spend on it, call in a
certified arborist to look at salvaging it. (These days, I think we were absolutely
nuts to go up the tree like that!)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 31-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"MC" wrote:

Last summer the tree grew with it's usual vigor, and it also put out lots of
flowers. When the leaves fell in the fall it revealed that there are many
new vertical growing branches. A couple are growning off the main trunk
near the break,

Here's what I'm wondering - I would like the tree to grow tall. Would it be
best to prune back all but one or two of these vertical growing branches to
encourage upward growth?

Prune out ALL of them except ONE ... leave the sturdier one of
the two near the break as the new leader.

For the next several years you will have to keep pruning out any
upstart that tries to take over (preferably as soon as you see
it), but after the tree's new leader gets established, the
tendency to send out shoots skyward will decrease.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 31-01-2003, 02:56 PM
animaux

Unfortunately, this is a common problem among fast growing species. Wood is
weak and it easily falls apart as early as 5 years. I have seen tulip poplars
on Long Island which were registered with the National Tree Registry which have
survived to be two of the biggest in the country. One of them is in Idle Hour
(a relatively exclusive part of the Island) and another is in Ronkonkoma in my
friends yard. Both are at least 150 tall, but the trunks are about 10 feet in
diameter. HUGE.

If this is a tree you want to save, call an arborist for a consultation and find
out if the damage can be repaired with judicious pruning. If not, plant another
different type tree near to it and that's that.

Old 31-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Beecrofter

Select 3 branches that would best serve as the new leader.
Leave the best one alone.
Reduce the 2nd best one by 1/3
Reduce the 3rd best one by 1/2
In a year if the best one is growing straight and sound remove the other two.

Old 01-02-2003, 04:17 PM
MC

Thanks, Pat - the tree is not so tall (anymore) so I can reach the top by
standing on a step ladder and using a pruning saw on a pole. Most of the
upward shoots are less and an inch across, so cutting them should not be a
problem.

Thanks again -

MCC

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message