Old 12-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Mceezee

Default Tomato plants in pots

I bought tomato plants this year (Big Boy) and with all the rain we had every
weekend never put them into the ground. I just planted them in a large pot
instead for the time being.

Will tomato plants grow like this (I like in NJ) or do they need to go into the
ground to establish their full growth? Every year I want to get "patio"
tomatoes but by the time I get around to it they are gone or I can't find them.
Can I make the regular tomato plants "patio" tomatoes instead?
Old 13-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:13:38 -0400, Mceezee wrote:

I bought tomato plants this year (Big Boy) and with all the rain we had
every weekend never put them into the ground. I just planted them in a
large pot instead for the time being.

Will tomato plants grow like this (I like in NJ) or do they need to go
into the ground to establish their full growth?

You can easily grow them in pots, I do.Make sure the pot is big enough, I say
at least 1-2 foot deep and 12-14" wide. Make sure to check frequently for
water as the soil in pots dries out faster and remember to fertilize.

Every year I want to get
"patio" tomatoes but by the time I get around to it they are gone or I
can't find them.
Can I make the regular tomato plants "patio" tomatoes instead?

YUP! See above. Get to it!
Old 13-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Thomas Curmudgeon

Mceezee wrote:
I bought tomato plants this year (Big Boy) and with all the rain we had every
weekend never put them into the ground. I just planted them in a large pot
instead for the time being.

Will tomato plants grow like this (I like in NJ) or do they need to go into the
ground to establish their full growth? Every year I want to get "patio"
tomatoes but by the time I get around to it they are gone or I can't find them.
Can I make the regular tomato plants "patio" tomatoes instead?

I have a plant in a huge plastic pot. Once tomatoes set last year the
plant turned brown. I know I was over watering it then. I was watering
it almost a gallon a day. But the same thing happened this year when I
was more careful.

I wonder if the plastic pot has anything to do with it. The common red
clay pots breath, albeit very little. I can't figure out what else the
problem is.

Each year the thing grew like a monster weed until maturity.

Old 13-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Valkyrie

I used to plant all varieties of tomatoes in those 5 gallon white buckets,
worked just fine.

Val

Old 14-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Mceezee

I used to plant all varieties of tomatoes in those 5 gallon white buckets,
worked just fine.

I have a few of these lying around - I will have to try it in these. So far
the plants in the large pot are doing well.
Old 18-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Minteeleaf

Mceezee wrote:

I bought tomato plants this year (Big Boy) and with all the rain we had every
weekend never put them into the ground. I just planted them in a large pot
instead for the time being.

Will tomato plants grow like this (I like in NJ) or do they need to go into the
ground to establish their full growth? Every year I want to get "patio"
tomatoes but by the time I get around to it they are gone or I can't find them.
Can I make the regular tomato plants "patio" tomatoes instead?

I have regular tomato plants growing happily in 6 & 10 gallon
pots on bricks on my deck. I'm in VA.

Minteeleaf