Will my mums flower again?

Old 28-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Adam Schwartz

Default Will my mums flower again?

Early in the season (mid May) I lost all of the flowers on my mums.
When i lost the flowers, there were plenty of buds left. Now when I look at
it I see only one small bud. It seems the rest of the buds have vanished.
Since May, the plant has beem vigorously producing new growth, but it hasn't
flowered at all. I really want it to flower again since I am growing it as
an annual. Can I expect it to flower again?

Thanks,
Adam (Iowa City)

Old 29-06-2003, 01:56 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article kplLa.43181$R73.6612@sccrnsc04, "Adam Schwartz"
writes:

Early in the season (mid May) I lost all of the flowers on my mums.
When i lost the flowers, there were plenty of buds left. Now when I look at
it I see only one small bud. It seems the rest of the buds have vanished.
Since May, the plant has beem vigorously producing new growth, but it hasn't
flowered at all. I really want it to flower again since I am growing it as
an annual. Can I expect it to flower again?

Thanks,
Adam (Iowa City)

Probably, provided that whatever(?) happened to cause you to 'lose' the
flowers in May doesn't happen again.
Many people pinch the flowers off their mums until about this time of year,
so that the mums will bloom in the fall.
Your s should bloom in the fall, too.
Emilie
Old 29-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Did you receive your "Mums" as potted gift plants?

Since Chrysanthemums are normally autumn blooming perennials that are forced
to bloom in the spring as Easter plants, guess when you should expect to see
them bloom again? Try planting them out in the garden for best results.

Old 29-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Adam Schwartz

I got my mums at the garden center, but they had already bloomed when I
bought them. The reason I lost the flowers is because I failed to heed the
warning on the insecticide that I used to kill the aphid infestation, which
read, "Do not spray directly on blooms". All of the flowers quickly turned
brown.

Old 29-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Are you really that naive? In logic there is something called false cause.

The flowers would have faded anyway because of the difference in the
conditions under which they were forced to bloom and your home conditions.
They were probably already in a state of decline when you bought the plants.
Like I said, Mums don't normally bloom in the spring anyway.

Old 29-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Adam Schwartz

Your probably right. However, only the flowers that I sprayed faded right
away. Perhaps the insecticide sped up the inevitable fading of the flowers.
Perhaps not.

Old 29-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Vox Humana

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
Did you receive your "Mums" as potted gift plants?

Since Chrysanthemums are normally autumn blooming perennials that are

forced
to bloom in the spring as Easter plants, guess when you should expect to

see
them bloom again? Try planting them out in the garden for best results.

My neighbor's normally autumn blooming mum is starting to bloom already.

Old 29-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Garden Envy

"Adam Schwartz" wrote in message news:kplLa.43181$R73.6612@sccrnsc04...
Early in the season (mid May) I lost all of the flowers on my mums.
Can I expect it to flower again?

Thanks,
Adam (Iowa City)

Here in the Midwest mums actually will bloom twice in a season. Since
they are short-day plants (actually, they require long nights to
bloom), they bloom in the spring and in the fall. A good rule of
thumb is to cut them back to within a couple inches of the ground
(REALLY! I do it every year!) around the 4th of July. This is an easy
date to remember around the summer solstice when the nights start
getting longer. Your mums will be florist-quality by September!

Happy Gardening,
Matt Weld
garden-envy.com :: Newsletter, tip-sheets, and more
Old 29-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Well, whoop de doo!!!

What do you want to do? Give them a medal?

Old 29-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Vox Humana

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
. com...
Well, whoop de doo!!!

What do you want to do? Give them a medal?

I thought someone might have an idea. It is my understanding that mums
bloom according to the length of day (or night).

Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Day or night. Night or day. Make up your mind.

Let us know when you are the one that has an idea.

Till then, mum's the word.

NARF! or is that ACK!? (It all depends on whether you prefer "Pinky & the
Brain" or "Bill the Cat"!!!!) HOYT!