Sunburst Locust - When to Prune?

Old 30-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Doug

Default Sunburst Locust - When to Prune?

I have a fair sized Sunburst Locust tree in my backyard that needs
some minor pruning.

Can it be trimmed back at any time of year, or is there a certain time
that I should stick within?

Toronto Ontario area, Zone5 if it matters.

Doug.
Old 30-06-2003, 07:56 PM
SugarChile

While they're dormant is always best, but if it's just minor pruning, and
the tree is well established, you can go ahead anytime. I'll confess to
doing some more-than-minor pruning on mine one summer, just because that's
the way things worked out, and the cuts healed over quickly and the tree
seemed to take it in it's stride. They are fairly tough and forgiving
trees. The wild ones around here seem to always be dropping branches, so I
don't think pruning them out of season is as traumatic as it could be with
other trees.

Just my opinions and observations,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA