Old 01-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Kurt

Default Leaf Mulch

Hello,

I have access to tons (yards) of leaf mulch and would like to know what
additional additives are needed to make it useable for flower and vegetable
gardens. Also, once the additional properties are added, would the mixture
be useable right away.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion,

Kurt

Old 01-02-2003, 07:38 PM
DJ BLAG

I have 35 trees on a little over 1/4 acre. I have a chipper and a mulching
mower.
I have had a compost pile for 9 years now, and basically its just chopped
leaves, grass in season, and any other waste I can put in there, never used
additives. Makes a great mulch.
HOWEVER, I find that laying the fresh chopped leaves out right away makes
for very happy earthworms the following year, so I am doing both for now.
Main problem with leave mulch for me is that my 2 Schnauzers bring in lots
of leaf 'cornflakes'!
Chas

Old 02-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Cricket

Yea, time. If you either layer them over your garden in layers of 7 or
fewer inches or leave them in a pile and turn it every two weeks for three
months for good results I'd say.

On the other hand, if you can add something rich in nitrogen (such as goat
manure, chicken manure, green vegetation, etc) to mix in a 1:6 (nitrogen to
leaf) ratio by volume, then you'll be cooking with the pros.

That said, I strongly recommend against getting chemically treated grass
clippings or commercial grade chicken manure or anything else that was fed
something you wouldn't feed to your plants.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Old 03-02-2003, 03:37 AM
CWilde

I top mulch with nothing but leaves all the time. It retains water, the
worms love it, it improves the soil, one summer on top of the soil and it's
basically gone. Excess I throw in the compost bin.

Carlotta

Old 03-02-2003, 05:27 PM
paghat

In article , "CWilde"
wrote:

I top mulch with nothing but leaves all the time. It retains water, the
worms love it, it improves the soil, one summer on top of the soil and it's
basically gone. Excess I throw in the compost bin.

Carlotta

You left out, & its free.
I also love the smell of leaves & leafmold on the ground.

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 06-02-2003, 01:30 AM
CWilde

Isn't the smell wonderful? Me too! You can really tell when it's all fitting
together like it should be. I'm one of those people who wouldn't ever do the
digging in the dirt thing with gloves on, because I like the way it smells
and feels. There's just something magic.

Carlotta

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 06-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Fleemo

I layer leaves (shredded by my leaf blower ) with kitchen scraps and
add a sprinkling of blood meal and keep it all moist to turn it into
compost quite quickly. During the winter, I just pour a three inch
layer of shredded leaves into my raised beds and come Spring, till any
remaining leaves into the soil.

The smell of chopped up leaves rates right up there with the smell of
freshly cut grass, two of nature's finest fragrences. Ok, this is
doing nothing to quell my Spring Fever!

[IMG] code is On

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Leaf mulch Peter Gardening 9 07-05-2004 06:03 AM
Source of leaf mulch in northern Melb suburbs? Terry Australia 1 28-05-2003 04:20 AM