transplanting Hibiscus Now or fall?

Old 21-07-2003, 02:54 AM
jlr

Default transplanting Hibiscus Now or fall?

When can I transplant my Hibiscus, I started it in a pot 12x12 And is
growing great, My question is when should I transplant it It is a hardy
Hibiscus and is just getting ready to flower. I want to do it right so
it will come back from the root next year.

Old 21-07-2003, 05:24 AM
B & J

"jlr" wrote in message
When can I transplant my Hibiscus, I started it in a pot 12x12 And is
growing great, My question is when should I transplant it It is a hardy
Hibiscus and is just getting ready to flower. I want to do it right so
it will come back from the root next year.

I don't know your zone, but they survive outside from zone 5a through 10b
although claims have been made that they survive as far north as Mpls., MN.
It doesn't seem to matter whether you plant them in the spring or fall. I
have planted them in both the spring and fall and have literally pulled
plants out of the ground in the spring, where they came up from seeds,
planted them elsewhere, and had them do just fine. I've also dug seedlings
up in the fall, put them in pots, which I buried in the ground, and dug the
pots up to take to our annual garden club plant sale the following spring.
They're tough! :-)

John

Old 21-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Bill R

jlr wrote:
When can I transplant my Hibiscus, I started it in a pot 12x12 And
is growing great, My question is when should I transplant it It is a
hardy Hibiscus and is just getting ready to flower. I want to do it
right so it will come back from the root next year.

It is really up to you. I have planted Hibiscus this time
of year and they have done well. If you do decide to plant
it be sure that you give it a lot of TLC for the first month
or so.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 21-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

If it is indeed a hardy perennial type Hibiscus and you are moving them from
a pot into the ground, you should do it ASAP.

Make sure you intend for it to be its permanent location because they will
form a massive rootstock once they are in the ground and they will be very
difficult to move later on.

Old 22-07-2003, 06:10 AM
B & J

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
If it is indeed a hardy perennial type Hibiscus and you are moving them

from
a pot into the ground, you should do it ASAP.

Make sure you intend for it to be its permanent location because they will
form a massive rootstock once they are in the ground and they will be very
difficult to move later on.

That's contrary to the experience I've had with hardy hibiscus. They do
develop a large root system, but I've used a pick ax to cut off segments to
give to friends and had these segments do well. I've also moved plants with
relatively large root systems and had them survive even though parts of the
fleshy roots broke off in the process. Maybe it has something to do with
zone and moisture.

John

Aphids on hibiscus ame-ame Australia 5 24-04-2003 01:56 AM
Wiring, Transplanting timeline question Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 14-04-2003 06:20 PM
Hibiscus branch fattening ... remove flowers or not? Paul Welch Bonsai 1 07-04-2003 11:32 PM
Bug infested hibiscus cshardie Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Transplanting Azaleas Robert Gray North Carolina 3 26-02-2003 11:45 PM