Old 24-07-2003, 11:02 PM

Default relocating to California (1/2)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:52:11 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

(Jan Flora) wrote in
:

In article , Hope
Munro Smith wrote:

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we
can take with us. My understanding is that you can take houseplants
that have not spent time outdoors or at least don't have any critters
like fire ants in them. Does anyone have experience with the border
check point and what the procedure is? I don't want to bring a bunch
of plants and then have them thrown out at the border, I'd rather
give them away. Thanks for your help!

until soon, Hope

See if you can have your plants inspected by an ag agent before you
leave TX. The plants need to be insect and disease free. It's not a
big deal, but bringing new bugs/diseases into Calif. could be. The ag
agent would probably give you a piece of paper that says your plants
are clean.

Yes, the border cops in Calif. will ask you about plants. They're
trying to keep bugs/diseases out of the state. It's a big deal, since
California is the food basket
of America.

The last time I drove into Canada from Washington state, they took
away a bag of #1 non-certified potatos. They're trying to keep the