Old 11-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Earl Buchan

Default Fast Growing Vines add shade & color!

http://www.landsteward.com

"Hot enough for you?" You've probably heard that question at least
once in the last week or so. And today, I'll give you a few ideas that
should help you make the best use of your landscaping to cool things
down a little.

In my last column, I left you lazing in your hammock (or at least
picturing yourself there) but this time, we have a little work to do
if you want to have it "made in the shade."

I gave you some ideas for trees that grow quite quickly and create
delightful cool, shaded areas that allow you to enjoy the outdoors
without scorching under the summer sun.

Today I want to think about the man-made structures that I mentioned
last time. Perhaps you have decided to build an arbor, a pergola or a
gazebo. They can be fairly simple to construct, and there are some
easy-to-follow instructions out there on the web. You can find a
direct link to an article on how to build an arbor when you go to my
web site, www.landsteward.org Go to "The Plant Man" and find last
week's column ("Made in the Shade") and simply click on the link to
landscaping.about.com.

However, structures such as those can look bare and raw, particularly
when they are new, unless you add plantings that will help them
assimilate into the surrounding natural landscape.

One of the quickest and least labor-intensive ways to coat your new
structure with greenery is to train some vines up the sides. Vines
need something to cling on to as they rise and a short trellis at the
base can help them along. But vines are quite perseverant when it
comes to climbing skyward!

For something simple and low-maintenance, try English Ivy (Hedera
helix). This is a hardy plant with dark green, glossy leaves. It can
climb to 9' when used as a vine, and you can also use it as
groundcover, creating a carpet effect in areas where grass has
difficulty growing.

Want something more colorful climbing up and over your arbor? Think
about the spectacular Purple Flowering Wisteria (Wisteria sinensis It
is a remarkably fast growing vine and looks beautiful on trellises and
arbors. You can even train it into tree-form if you wish. The vivid
purple flowers usually start showing in late May in dense groupings,
about 6 to 12 inch long. These things can grow to 30' and you should
be aware that they can become quite heavy. Make sure your structure is
sturdy and I suggest that you keep your Wisteria under control to
prevent any problems!

How about spending a lazy afternoon in the cooling shade of your
gazebo, and reaching out to pick a fresh ... grape?! There are several
types of grape vines available. Here are three seedless varieties I
like.

Seedless Reliance. This is a delicious, pink, seedless grape with a
really "sugar-sweet" flavor. If you feel you're lacking the proverbial
"green thumb", you'll be pleased to know that this is one of the
hardiest varieties you can grow. The rosy-pink grapes ripen in late
August and you can expect to get 40-50 clusters of fruit per plant. It
also resists anthracnose, black rot and mildew.

Seedless Himrod. These cool, green grapes ripen in August, about a
month before Concord grapes, and they store for months. Best of all, I
think they are so much tastier than super-market varieties! Crisp and
fruity as wine, they are also delicious dried as golden raisins, and
yield 35-40 fruit clusters per plant.

Seedless Mars. Presumably you are building your shady gazebo getaway
to shield you from the sun, so you might want to consider training a
grapevine that grows happily under hot summer skies. Mars is a blue
seedless variety that fits the bill, and as an added bonus is the most
disease-resistant seedless variety developed by the University of
Arkansas.

Vines can be put to many uses in addition to adding leafy, colorful
cover to your arbor or gazebo. A barren fence or a plain outbuilding
can be beautified by planting and training a suitable vine. If you
have any creative uses for vines or any ideas you'd like to share with
other readers, please drop me a line at A word
of caution: Vines such as ivy can get a grip on surfaces such as brick
walls, and over time can eat away at the mortar and cement. It helps
to provide some kind of trellis in front of the brickwork to give the
little suckers something to cling on to!

We'll revisit the subject of shade gardens in a future column and talk
about plants that thrive in the shade. Until then you have my
permission to return to your hammock and think about your fall
planting plans.

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to
and for resources and
additional information, including archived columns, visit
www.landsteward.org often.