Old 05-02-2003, 09:42 PM
kate

Default thorny vine ID?

I've got a newcomer to the yard in at least two locations but I haven't
figured out what it is yet.

It's a vine with lots of little thorns on the stem. The leaves are spade
shaped,smooth edged, alternate, mottled green on the top, solid green
underneath. Up to 3" long, about an 1 1/2" at the base ending in a
point. The older leaves are changing to browning green.

Any ideas?

Kate
Zone 6b

Old 06-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:42:20 -0600, kate
wrote:

I've got a newcomer to the yard in at least two locations but I haven't
figured out what it is yet.

It's a vine with lots of little thorns on the stem. The leaves are spade
shaped,smooth edged, alternate, mottled green on the top, solid green
underneath. Up to 3" long, about an 1 1/2" at the base ending in a
point. The older leaves are changing to browning green.

Any ideas?

You might look up Sweetbriar or Cat Briar.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I've got a newcomer to the yard in at least two locations but I haven't
figured out what it is yet.

It's a vine with lots of little thorns on the stem. The leaves are spade
shaped,smooth edged, alternate, mottled green on the top, solid green
underneath. Up to 3" long, about an 1 1/2" at the base ending in a
point. The older leaves are changing to browning green.

Any ideas?

You might look up Sweetbriar or Cat Briar.

You are quick, Cereoid. I mixed up Sweetbriar with Greenbriar and went
on a web hunt:

http://www.weedalert.com/weed_pages/...greenbriar.htm
http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/weeds/wee...ame=greenbriar
http://ceres.cals.ncsu.edu/wetland/l...s.cfm?s_id=101
http://ceres.cals.ncsu.edu/wetland/l...s.cfm?s_id=103
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...us/sglauca.htm

Whatever it is, it climbs like crazy, is very nasty to pull out, and
seems to start in the most inaccessible places. Such a nice name for
such a noxious weed.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:30 PM
kate

Frogleg wrote:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...us/sglauca.htm

Whatever it is, it climbs like crazy, is very nasty to pull out, and
seems to start in the most inaccessible places. Such a nice name for
such a noxious weed.

This is the closet match but the leaves are the wrong shape (definitely
arrow or as one book described, spade shaped) and a darker green. The
leaf shape is reminiscent of bindweed, but a much more elegant looking
leaf, more slendor, poised, mottled as if by an artist - like it went to
finishing school. g The leaves aren't waxy.

Thanks to you both - the search continues!

Kate

Old 06-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Callen Molenda

wrote:

[...]

My grandmother called it "cut toe" and it is a horrible weed.

[IMG] code is On

Thorny plants - pyracantha WRabbit United Kingdom 13 21-05-2006 06:51 PM
Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub Doug Kanter Gardening 54 03-12-2004 11:01 PM
A thorny problem Peter and Susan Australia 11 19-07-2004 09:12 PM
Thorny shrubs sw United Kingdom 19 17-05-2003 10:56 AM
Thorny sugestions Sheepkeeper Roses 6 07-05-2003 02:20 PM