Big pine tree dropping sap

Old 01-09-2003, 04:22 PM
mike boucher

Default Big pine tree dropping sap

I've a sticky problem

My neighbor has a huge majestic pine tree, whose branches overhang
my driveway. I actually like this tree but, its been dropping sap
onto the cars.

I've lived here about 6 years and don't recall it dropping this
much sap. Daily there are about 5 to 10 new dropplets on the car.
And these are a real chore to clean off.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why this tree is dropping so
much sap? It looks like a healthy tree to me. I live in Massachusetts
and the summer has been fairly hot and dry, but nothing out of the
ordinary. Does dropping sap indicate there could be something wrong
with the tree? Or is this normal?
Old 02-09-2003, 03:03 AM
J Kolenovsky

I don't know about in Mass., but in the coastal flatwoods there is a
cockaded woodpecker who pecks a hole into the heartwood of a pine tree
about 30 feet off the ground and raises its brood. The sap is a
deterrent from ants and predators. This bird is on the endangered list
in Texas as habitat destruction continues.

You might see if there is a hole up in the tree. =

Also, an arborist might check and see if there is insect activity.

Here is a general link about pine trees and their reactions to stimulus:

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/h198/garden/pine/

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

mike boucher wrote:
=

I've a sticky problem
=

My neighbor has a huge majestic pine tree, whose branches overhang
my driveway. I actually like this tree but, its been dropping sap
onto the cars.
=

I've lived here about 6 years and don't recall it dropping this
much sap. Daily there are about 5 to 10 new dropplets on the car.
And these are a real chore to clean off.
=

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why this tree is dropping so
much sap? It looks like a healthy tree to me. I live in Massachusetts
and the summer has been fairly hot and dry, but nothing out of the
ordinary. Does dropping sap indicate there could be something wrong
with the tree? Or is this normal?

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 04-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Chris Owens

mike boucher wrote:

I've a sticky problem

My neighbor has a huge majestic pine tree, whose branches overhang
my driveway. I actually like this tree but, its been dropping sap
onto the cars.

I've lived here about 6 years and don't recall it dropping this
much sap. Daily there are about 5 to 10 new dropplets on the car.
And these are a real chore to clean off.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why this tree is dropping so
much sap? It looks like a healthy tree to me. I live in Massachusetts
and the summer has been fairly hot and dry, but nothing out of the
ordinary. Does dropping sap indicate there could be something wrong
with the tree? Or is this normal?

A tree that shedding sap is typically indicative of a broken
branch or an insect hole. Which doesn't mean it isn't an healthy
tree; most pines have some insect predation and broken branches.
So, I'd pretty much say what you have here is in the range of
'normal'. So, can you move the cars or cover them?

Chris Owens

Sick Pine tree? far7134 Gardening 10 31-03-2003 04:56 AM
HELP with aftermath of Pine Tree removal David J. Bockman Gardening 2 24-02-2003 03:03 AM
Pine Tree Seedlings Larry Caldwell alt.forestry 2 19-02-2003 11:36 PM
150' Norfolk Pine in Backyard and growing...help! laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) Gardening 1 24-01-2003 01:03 AM
150' Norfolk Pine in Backyard and growing...help! Concerned TreeOwner United Kingdom 0 20-01-2003 08:17 AM