Old 18-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Toonartist

Default Is my tree dying?

Hi,

I transplanted a small (5 feet high) redbud the other day (4 days ago) and
have been watering it well.

There was some trouble extracting it from its former location (the dirt
around the rootball starting coming apart) and I now believe I damaged the
roots.

The leaves on the end of the branches are shriveling and some have dried up
completely.

Is this normal?

To me it's an indication that the tree is not taking up water.

Either way I guess I'll just have to wait until next spring and see if it's
alive but just wondering if there is anything that can be done now that
could help it.

Should I try fertilizing it?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I live in Zone 5b.

-Kevin

--
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Old 19-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Theo

I don't know what the tree's problem is or what you should do but I do know
that you should NOT give the tree the fertilizer. Hope you can save it.
-Theo

Old 19-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Two questions you should answer first a

1. Exactly what type of tree is it?

2. Exactly where are you located on the planet? BTW, giving the zone isn't
good enough.

Old 19-09-2003, 05:32 AM
Toonartist

Sorry for the confusion.

As I said, it's a redbud (I believe its botanical name is ceris canadensis
.... but I don't know any more info than that) and I live in coastal NH, USA.

Thanks.

. ..

Old 19-09-2003, 12:32 PM
John Bachman

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:35:02 -0400, "Toonartist"
wrote:

Hi,

I transplanted a small (5 feet high) redbud the other day (4 days ago) and
have been watering it well.

There was some trouble extracting it from its former location (the dirt
around the rootball starting coming apart) and I now believe I damaged the
roots.

The leaves on the end of the branches are shriveling and some have dried up
completely.

Is this normal?

Well, you picked a poor time to move the tree. When it is dormant
would have been much better.

But, it is done. It is impossible to move a tree without damaging the
feeder roots - those are the tiny hairlike roots. They do all of the
work of collecting nutrients and water from the soil. The effect you
are seeing is a result of that damage.

Give the tree lots of water, keep the soil moist until the leaves are
gone. Do not add fertilizer or any soil nutrients.

In late spring/early winter before the buds begin to swell prune at
least 1/3 off.

When the buds swell, fertilize with a balanced fertiizer (10-10-10)
and make sure that it does not dry out.

Good luck.

John

Old 19-09-2003, 02:12 PM
pelirojaroja

Don't fertilize a stressed plant. Some foliage loss is common with a
transplant. Keep watering it, though -- you need to really soak it. Hope
it recovers!

--
-- pelirojaroja

Please ignore anti-spam address. Email pelirojaroja @ yahoo-dot-com

news

Old 21-09-2003, 02:32 AM
dkat

I have always used "miracle grow" on transplanted plants and it is
recommended for transplanting..... I would think that a fertilizer that
promotes root growth (not leaf or flower ) would be a good thing in this
case. DKat

.. .

Old 21-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Chris Owens

Toonartist wrote:

Hi,

I transplanted a small (5 feet high) redbud the other day (4 days ago) and
have been watering it well.

There was some trouble extracting it from its former location (the dirt
around the rootball starting coming apart) and I now believe I damaged the
roots.

The leaves on the end of the branches are shriveling and some have dried up
completely.

Is this normal?

To me it's an indication that the tree is not taking up water.

Either way I guess I'll just have to wait until next spring and see if it's
alive but just wondering if there is anything that can be done now that
could help it.

Should I try fertilizing it?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I live in Zone 5b.

-Kevin

Absolutely do NOT fertilize! Whilst this is an extreme reaction
of transplant shock; the tree may still be quite all right. Keep
watering, and give it some time. [This, BTW, is one of the
reasons that it's generally better to move stuff when it's
dormant.]

Chris Owens

Old 22-09-2003, 01:03 AM
dkat

I meant this as a question and it doesn't read as such on second reading...
Can someone tell me why not to use miracle grow on transplanted trees?

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Fig tree dying - help! yso United Kingdom 9 16-01-2004 11:07 AM
Dying Palm Tree Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Please help, my lemon tree is dying! Rachael Reynolds United Kingdom 10 31-12-2002 01:53 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM