Old 01-10-2003, 05:42 PM
EBG

Default Storing 4oclock tubers

How should I store some 4oclock tubers I just dug up?

Can I put them in the refrigerator? Out in my unheated garage....(don't have
a basement).

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Zemedelec

How should I store some 4oclock tubers I just dug up?
BRBR

One edge of my garden is rife with them, but I never knew they had tubers. The
things one learns...
zemedelec
Old 02-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Dwayne

Put them in a paper bag and put them somewhere in your garage where they
will stay dry. Otherwise, just plant them. I have sorted them by color and
stored iris risones over a year in the garage, but only 2/3 rds of them
lived. It is best to plant them now. You don't have to cover them with
dirt. Half of them can be out of the ground. It always takes mine two
summers to bloom, so the sooner you can get them in the ground, the sooner
you will see color.

Dwayne

Old 02-10-2003, 04:34 AM
B & J

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
How should I store some 4oclock tubers I just dug up?
BRBR

One edge of my garden is rife with them, but I never knew they had tubers.

The
things one learns...
zemedelec

A number of years ago I bought a package of roots/tubers labeled "mirabilis"
at a local garden center. It was attractively packaged, and I didn't
recognize them from the plant picture. When they began blooming, I realized
I had paid $4.95 for three four o'clock roots when I could have purchased a
whole package of seeds for a $1.95. It was kind of funny but also taught me
a lesson. GRIN

Yes, the roots/tubers can be dug, stored in a cool, dry place, and replanted
the following year. I don't bother now because they can be grown so easily
from seeds and so freely reseed themselves that I consider them a weed.

John

Old 02-10-2003, 08:32 AM
gregpresley

In my climate, four-o-clocks are not hardy in the ground over winter, and
they take a long time to bloom from seed (as late as late August). One year
I did buy the tubers, and was very happy to get flowers starting in July on
very large handsome plants. I would do it again, but they haven't been
offered since....

Old 03-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Dwayne

Sorry about that. I read a posting about iris, and was thinking about that
when I answered this one. The information I gave you was on iris, not 4
O'clocks.

Dwayne

"EBG" wrote in message
How should I store some 4oclock tubers I just dug up?

Can I put them in the refrigerator? Out in my unheated garage....(don't

have
a basement).

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks

[IMG] code is On

Storing bulbs and tubers Stuart Noble United Kingdom 2 09-03-2008 01:36 PM
When to divide tubers? Hammer Ponds 5 21-10-2003 05:02 PM
old bulbs / tubers Perksy Gardening 0 04-09-2003 03:02 AM
old bulbs / tubers Perksy Australia 0 01-09-2003 01:02 AM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM