Old 15-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Chris Farmer

Default Which fertilizer for Fall lawn care???

I am in the process of getting my lawn ready for winter and spring.

I plan to power rake the lawn to remove thatch,
Aerate with a rented machine
spread seed
and apply 1/4" or so of top soil

My question is which fertilizer is appropriate?

Winterizer or starter fertilizer for the seed?
The levels of nutrients vary greatly and I don't want to plant a bunch
of seed and use winterizer only have the seed suffer through a harsh
winter.

I live in MO, so we get into the single digits at times during winter.

Any advice would be appreicated
Old 15-10-2003, 08:12 PM
John Bachman

10-10-10

John

Old 15-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Phrederick

What's the difference between 10-10-10 and 20-20-20 or 7-7-7 ???

"John Bachman" wrote in message
10-10-10

John

Old 16-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Beecrofter

"Phrederick" wrote in message news:AAgjb.102621$9l5.19802@pd7tw2no...
What's the difference between 10-10-10 and 20-20-20 or 7-7-7 ???

"John Bachman" wrote in message
10-10-10

John

The numbers are percentages by weight.

What did your soil test indicate you needed to apply?

Did you do a soil test?

What is the soil pH?
Old 16-10-2003, 12:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

An ORGANIC one. =

These guys are out of Springfield, MO - http://www.bradfieldind.com/

JK

Chris Farmer wrote:
=

I am in the process of getting my lawn ready for winter and spring.
=

I plan to power rake the lawn to remove thatch,
Aerate with a rented machine
spread seed
and apply 1/4" or so of top soil
=

My question is which fertilizer is appropriate?
=

Winterizer or starter fertilizer for the seed?
The levels of nutrients vary greatly and I don't want to plant a bunch
of seed and use winterizer only have the seed suffer through a harsh
winter.
=

I live in MO, so we get into the single digits at times during winter.
=

Any advice would be appreicated

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 16-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Marley1372

What's the difference between 10-10-10 and 20-20-20 or 7-7-7 ???

the answer is basically nothing, other than the lower number fertilizer has
more filler in it than the higher, which dosent really matter unless the bags
are exactly the same weight and price, then you would go with the higher
because it cover a larger area. Ignore the fancy labeling on the bag and look
specifically at how much actual nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium is in the
bag and how much the bag costs. Most garden centers sell the same stuff in 5
different bags with different labels for lawn, trees, flowers, acid loving
plants, and so on. 10-10-10 is the one that is always recommended for whatever
reason, but anything under 15-15-15 usually has a large amount of filler which
can raise your soil pH. At any rate, the important thing is to have a balance
fertilizer that contains at least N, P, and k.

Toad
Old 16-10-2003, 03:32 AM
lvhippy

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:09:44 -0400, John Bachman
wrote:

10-10-10

John

Good land man, please provide ANY reference or documentation that a
1-1-1 ratio of fertilizer is appropriate for turf culture!

Latest Texas A&M research and from Cornell indicates a 2-1-1 or a
4-1-1 organic produces far superior lawns. Feeds the soil not the
plant.....

Old 16-10-2003, 03:32 AM
lvhippy

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:44:48 GMT, "Phrederick"
wrote:

What's the difference between 10-10-10 and 20-20-20 or 7-7-7 ???

20-20-20 would twice as inappropriate and 7-7-7 1/3 less stupid?
:)
Old 16-10-2003, 02:42 PM
animaux

Texas A&M University did an elaborate test to see which fertilizer outperformed
any other fertilizer. The formula which outperformed every other was a
certified organic fertilizer called LadyBug Brand. Now, you may not find that
in MO since it is made right here in Austin, TX, but slow release, organic
fertilizer outperforms regardless where the turf is. You may be able to find a
garden center which sells Sustane brand, and I do believe they too have an 8-2-4
ratio of elements.

Synthetic fertilizers like Scotts will indeed burn tender roots of newly planted
grass. Slow release, certified organic will not. You decide.

On 15 Oct 2003 08:12:34 -0700, (Chris Farmer)
opined:

Old 16-10-2003, 03:02 PM
animaux

Actually, Bradfield is a terrific fertilizer. I used to be able to have access
to it up in the Dallas are, but I haven't found it anywhere in Austin or
surrounding. Do you have a source in Austin?

I like it for a few reasons, but mainly for the material it's made of. There is
so much organic matter in it, that it serves as both fertilizer and almost as a
compost top dress.

What I've done is to buy alfalfa hay, and pellets from the tack and feed store
and I've been using it on very sunny areas of turf. It's moot now because all
of that turf is coming out in about a week. Less and less turf. I love that!

Victoria

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:54:49 -0500, J Kolenovsky opined:

Old 17-10-2003, 06:02 AM
vincent p. norris

Balanced fertilizer is no longer the most effective.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/greenhouse.htm

For some reason, I can't get that web site. But I have a a couple of
questions.

The word "balanced" traditionally has meant the same quantity of N,P,
and K, such as 5-5-5, 10-10-10, 20-20-20, and so forth. Is that
correct?

A year or so I read, somewhere, that the problem with that definition
of "balanced" is that plants don't need the same amounts of N, P, and
K. They need them in the ratio, IIRC, 5-2-3.

Is that also correct?

But would grass (and perhaps "foliage plants" need a different ratio
than plants that produce blossoms? or tomatoes?

(Is that what the web site is about? I'll keep trying to get it.)

Thanks. vince norris
Old 17-10-2003, 02:22 PM
J Kolenovsky

On their website is a retailer dealer locator. Well, wouldn't you know
it? I just clicked it and its in repair. Seems like Lowe's was one of
the retailers. The Texas rep is Greg Phillips: Fort Worth, Texas Phone:
(817) 731-9141.

Less turf, more diversity. Yes!

JK

=

Old 17-10-2003, 02:22 PM
J Kolenovsky

animaux wrote:
=

Texas A&M University did an elaborate test to see which fertilizer outp=

erformed
any other fertilizer. The formula which outperformed every other was a=

certified organic fertilizer called LadyBug Brand. Now, you may not fi=

nd that
in MO since it is made right here in Austin, TX, but slow release, orga=

nic
fertilizer outperforms regardless where the turf is. You may be able t=

o find a
garden center which sells Sustane brand, and I do believe they too have=

an 8-2-4
ratio of elements.
=

Synthetic fertilizers like Scotts will indeed burn tender roots of newl=

y planted
grass.

=

AND kill off your soilfoodweb which is not a nice thing to have happen.
Plus leach out minerals and other vital elements. You need active
microbial activity in your soil to sucessfully produce WHATEVER you are
trying to grow.

[...]

http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

[IMG] code is On

Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup) Bob LeChevalier Ponds 0 25-12-2007 10:42 PM
Which fertilizer? aunty mor Gardening 2 05-03-2007 05:00 PM
Fall rose care kathyhc Roses 1 12-10-2006 03:48 PM
Which fertilizer for overseeding? blahb Lawns 27 08-10-2003 03:43 AM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 08:42 PM