Old 16-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Sundar Narasimhan

Default acorns, acorns, acorns.. how to pickup/get rid of them

Hi, I have several oak and pine trees.. in and around my lawn (zone 5),
and am getting tired of picking up the acorns. I got a toro hand-held
blower/vacuum for the leaves.. but the lawn is a bit too big for it to
be of help, and besides it doesn't help w/ the acorns.

What's up w/ oaks these past two years, I must have shovelled several
(10+) trash barrels filled w/ these .. and yet they keep coming down.

Any suggestions?

ps. Is there a power sweeper or some such thing one can buy to pick
these up - I don't have a riding lawn mower.. so am wondering if theres
a machine that's push-behind that could possibly help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 16-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Roy

The deer usually get a lot of mine, and what the deer don't get my
guinea fowl are eating. I never noticed them eating acorns before, but
they seem to love them. I have thinne dout my squirrel population down
to about "0" as far as grey squirrels go, but I do have quite a few
nice large Fox squirrels which are not nearly as pesky and nuisance
like a grey squirrel is.

Other than a rake with close tines, I can't say what would be the
easiest way to get them up. There are manually pushed lawn sweepers,
but how well they work or how hard it would be to push is anyones
guess, however from what I have read on other forums regarding fall
cleanup thesweepers do a good job and their only drawback is capacity
and being a bit slower than a vaccum type cart. I use a
chipper/shredder/vaccum trailer behind a L & G tractor which sucks
everything up and makes a nice fine mulch out of it all.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:45:58 -0500, Sundar Narasimhan
wrote:

x-Hi, I have several oak and pine trees.. in and around my lawn (zone 5),
x-and am getting tired of picking up the acorns. I got a toro hand-held
x-blower/vacuum for the leaves.. but the lawn is a bit too big for it to
x-be of help, and besides it doesn't help w/ the acorns.
x-
x-What's up w/ oaks these past two years, I must have shovelled several
x-(10+) trash barrels filled w/ these .. and yet they keep coming down.
x-
x-Any suggestions?
x-
x-ps. Is there a power sweeper or some such thing one can buy to pick
x-these up - I don't have a riding lawn mower.. so am wondering if theres
x-a machine that's push-behind that could possibly help.
x-
x-Thanks in advance.

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Old 16-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Zemedelec

Pigs are supposed to love acorns. If anyone in your neighborhood has a pet
potbellied pig, maybe you could borrow it for a few days...
zemedelec
Old 16-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Grandpa

A thousand Gerbils will dojustice on them too, they love acorns and
other nuts in shells.

Old 16-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Shepherd

"Sundar Narasimhan" wrote in message
Hi, I have several oak and pine trees.. in and around my lawn (zone 5),
and am getting tired of picking up the acorns. I got a toro hand-held
blower/vacuum for the leaves.. but the lawn is a bit too big for it to
be of help, and besides it doesn't help w/ the acorns.

What's up w/ oaks these past two years, I must have shovelled several
(10+) trash barrels filled w/ these .. and yet they keep coming down.

Any suggestions?

ps. Is there a power sweeper or some such thing one can buy to pick
these up - I don't have a riding lawn mower.. so am wondering if theres
a machine that's push-behind that could possibly help.

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar problem with acorns, not so bad this year, but last year
the amount of acorns was just unbelievable.

There are pecan pickers that should make short work of your acorn problem.

Try:

www.rozells.com/html/pecan_pickers.html

www.leblanspecancompany.com/item62.html

There are others.

do a google search for pecan pickers

Shepherd

Old 16-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Tina Gibson

"Sundar Narasimhan" wrote in message
Hi, I have several oak and pine trees.. in and around my lawn (zone 5),
and am getting tired of picking up the acorns. I got a toro hand-held
blower/vacuum for the leaves.. but the lawn is a bit too big for it to
be of help, and besides it doesn't help w/ the acorns.

What's up w/ oaks these past two years, I must have shovelled several
(10+) trash barrels filled w/ these .. and yet they keep coming down.

Any suggestions?

ps. Is there a power sweeper or some such thing one can buy to pick
these up - I don't have a riding lawn mower.. so am wondering if theres
a machine that's push-behind that could possibly help.

Thanks in advance.

Send them to me - they make great firestarter!!

Old 16-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Hi, I have several oak and pine trees.. in and around my lawn (zone 5),
and am getting tired of picking up the acorns. I got a toro hand-held
blower/vacuum for the leaves.. but the lawn is a bit too big for it to
be of help, and besides it doesn't help w/ the acorns.

What's up w/ oaks these past two years, I must have shovelled several
(10+) trash barrels filled w/ these .. and yet they keep coming down.

Yep. Quite a nuisance in large quantities. A small-tined rake, as
another poster suggested, seems to be appropriate, although I gather
you have a considerable quantity to dispose of. And no squirrels? I
wonder...if you raked some into a pile, would they stay or be carried
away?

You might see if you could invite some people interested in crafts
over to take their fill. They are much-used in autumn wreathes and
arrangements. Pine cones, too.

Sell on eBay to the acorn-deprived:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=30 97
Old 16-11-2003, 04:12 PM

Frogleg wrote:

Sell on eBay to the acorn-deprived:

You really can sell anything on ebay. Here's a dutch auction that ended a
few weeks ago:

Somebody paid $3.49 for a dandelion or two's worth of seed.
Old 16-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Tina Gibson

wrote in message
Frogleg wrote:

Sell on eBay to the acorn-deprived:

You really can sell anything on ebay. Here's a dutch auction that ended a
few weeks ago:

Somebody paid $3.49 for a dandelion or two's worth of seed.

Wow - we could all be RICH!!

Old 16-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Sundar Narasimhan

Thanks for all the suggestions. Last year the deer took care of some of
them, but I think I have so many buckets that I think the few that come
by can't really eat them all.

We did have squirrels and chipmunks, but ever since my wife started
letting the cats out.. they stay a safe distance away chittering.

ebay! Wow, what an idea..

Old 18-11-2003, 09:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Sundar Narasimhan wrote:
=

Thanks for all the suggestions. Last year the deer took care of some of=

them, but I think I have so many buckets that I think the few that come=

by can't really eat them all.
=

We did have squirrels and chipmunks, but ever since my wife started
letting the cats out.. they stay a safe distance away chittering.

Start keeping the cats in and the wildlife will return and take care of
the acorns.

ebay! Wow, what an idea..
=

-- =