Old 24-12-2003, 06:42 PM
MLEBLANCA

Default Christmas Eve Bloomers

I just finished looking for my bloomers.....blooming
plants-that is. Each Christmas Eve day I list what
I have in bloom in the garden. Even just one flower
on the plants counts. Here is this year's list:

December 24, 2003

azalea (one blossom)
abutilon
rose: floribunda Confetti
rose: grandiflora Ole
euryops
japanese aralia
viburnum tinus (just starting)
sasanqua camellia Yuletide
sasanqua camellia Kanjiro
erigeron Santa Barbara Daisy
narcissus Chinese Sacred Lily
salvia Hot Lips (2 blossoms)
nasturtium
gaillardia
strawberry Pink Panda (2 blossoms)
oxalis pink redwood sorrel
pansies
snapdragons
primroses
iris dwarf Smell the Roses
iris dwarf Little Blue Eyes
lantana purple
and in a sheltered little spot in the Secret Garden
some tiny little pink impatiens!

Happy Holidays to everyone at wreck.gardens

Emilie
Northern California's North Central Valley

Old 24-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Zemedelec

Hmmmm. Here's mine (zone 9, New Orleans)
December 24

princess tree
azalea (two kinds, two blossoms)
tea olive
wild canna
Early Pearl narcissus
salvia--common red kind
violas
purple-leafed oxalis
dwarf banana
variegated hibiscus
lantana pink and yellow
lantana purple

This might sound quite colorful, but it amounts to tiny dabs of color in a vast
expanse of green and brown, which if a frost hits will turn to tan and brown.
Still, it's more colorful than Brno, Moravia, where after unending weeks of
snow, conifers and bare soil I snatched a wild violet from under the snarls of
a fenced-in Chow and brought it back to the dorm in triumph.

zemedelec
Old 24-12-2003, 08:42 PM
paghat

Here's what I have blooming right now in zone 8:

Cyclamen hederofolium -- one of many has not yet quite blooming for its
season, as later-blooming species supplant the greater floweriness:
Cyclamen coum
Cyclamen cilicium

Camellia sasanqua "Rosea" thick with pink single-blossoms
Camellia olifera x hiemalis "Showa-no-Sakae" full of pink double-blossoms
Camellia olifera x hiemalis "Snow Flurry" with several white doubles

Crocus laevigatus var fontenayi, winter crocus

Viburnum "Dawn" full of pink flowers on its leafless branches

Kaffir lilies -- three cultivars take turns blooming so that one or
another has flowers any season of the year; "Mrs Haggerdy" is in full
bloom right now.

Abelia "Edward Goucher," not as flowery as during autumn but still pretty
flowery

Cornus canadensis, Bunchberry. Though it doesn't really bloom anew in
winter, its final autumn flowers that missed getting pollinated persist,
turning from white to brighter & brighter pink as winter progresses.

Loropetalum chinense var rubrum "Sizzling Pink" Fringeflower, very nearly
ever-blooming in my garden, plus the purple leaves are evergreen.

"Autumn Glow" Hebe. Bloomed like mad until November, still has a couple of
limb-ends with bright purple blooms not quite finished.

Really feeble out-of-season blooms without their in-season stems are in
close to the leaves of one bergenia, several chinese rampions, a
cherry-bells campanula. Plus one patch blue siberian campanula hasn't as
yet interupted its re-flowerings.

On the VERGE of bloom is witchhazel & a winterblooming honesuckle, but not
quite yet.

There's a deluge outside right now or I'd take a tour about to see if I'm
forgetting something cool. Most of the winter flowers are subdued, it
certainly doesn't add up to a flowery show, except where the camellias are
growing, those are showy as all heck. If one counted winter berries as
being almost as good as flowers, there's a great many of those, from the
neon-violet beautyberries to several kinds of red to orange cotoneasters &
big white snowberries. The garden also gains some color from such things
as Nishiki willow the newer twigs turning coral-red in winter, while the
redtwig dogwood's younger limbs turn wine-red, & climbing hydrangea's
thicker exfoliating limbs are bright orange. Birches & hazels also have
catkins on them right now, but the catkins are not yet at maximum show
which happens late-winter for the hazels & early spring for the birch,
when the hard little early winter catkins turn into long soft golden
chains.

I've a patch of winter irises that failed to bloom, wahhh.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 25-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
Happy Holidays to everyone at wreck.gardens

Show off :-)

Here's what I have blooming this Christmas Eve in Zone 5, Chicago.

Nothing.

Old 25-12-2003, 04:32 AM
madgardener

not even an onion from Outback?? g
.net...
In article says...
Happy Holidays to everyone at wreck.gardens

Old 25-12-2003, 03:32 PM
NAearthMOM

I'm jealous! The hellebores aren't even blooming here!

Love caryn
I just finished looking for my bloomers..

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

[IMG] code is On

Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 2 29-12-2010 10:31 PM
Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 6 31-12-2007 11:21 PM
Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 0 26-12-2006 05:49 PM
Christmas bloomers mleblanca Gardening 6 02-01-2006 01:04 AM
Christmas bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 5 27-12-2004 09:38 PM