How do I suppress the growth ot tree roots?

Old 20-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Peter Jason

Default How do I suppress the growth ot tree roots?

I want to stop the growth of tree roots under my house.

I hear that copper nails, hammered into the root in question, will do this.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Old 20-12-2003, 03:42 AM
SAS567

I want to stop the growth of tree roots under my house.

I hear that copper nails, hammered into the root in question, will do this.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Don't know about the nails, but we had to stop the root growth from breaking up
the blacktop of our driveway. We removed the dirt on the affected side, down to
expose the roots and chopped them all with an axe. The trees are huge Scotch
Pines and it hasn't affected them at all.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 20-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Brian

Do not use the Copper Nail. I have seen this used and the whole tree died
within 18 months. Best Wishes.

Old 20-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Peter Jason" wrote:

I want to stop the growth of tree roots under my house.
I hear that copper nails, hammered into the root in question, will do this.

"Not only is a copper nail not only not going to kill the tree, but it
is a primary components of many fungicides." [Western Chapter
International Society of Arboriculture]

Trenching around the house and cutting off roots approaching the house
is the best option.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 20-12-2003, 05:42 PM
len gardener

g'day peter,

not sure what you may have over there but over here there is a product
called root barrier it is like rubber sheeting that the roots can't
penetrate. you can instal it yourself by digging a trench (hard yakka
doing all that digging) or have someone install it. can't see just
simply chopping the roots being a long term arrangement as like tree
branches that get pruned other roots will grow back and continue
spreading.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 21-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Peter Jason

Thank you for the replies.
My house is in town and the city council is supposed to trench around the
house and put down a concrete barrier. They did this at the front of the
house, because it was evident that the veranda was lifting, but they will
not do it at the side (the house is on a corner) because there "is no
evidence of any damage"! When I explain about preventive maintenance they
say their budget doesn't cover this. I think I will try the copper nail
route because I can access the tree root(s) via a deep drill hole in the
footpath. I wonder how long it takes to work?

Old 21-12-2003, 10:03 AM
David Hill

Why not just cut the offending roots, they will take a time to get back to
any size and much less risk of killing the tree.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Mike Gilmore

I heartily Agree!!!!
Regards
Mike Gilmore
WinsfordWalledGarden, SW England,
USDA Zone9a

Old 21-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
"Peter Jason" wrote:

I want to stop the growth of tree roots under my house.
I hear that copper nails, hammered into the root in question, will do

this.

"Not only is a copper nail not only not going to kill the tree, but it
is a primary components of many fungicides." [Western Chapter
International Society of Arboriculture]

A copper nail may not kill the tree, but copper in sufficient quantity is
toxic to most plants. Copper is often used in nursery containers for trees
to kill off root shoots to prevent girdling. Copper sulphate injections are
sometimes used to kill invasive roots, in much the same manner the OP wishes
to achieve. I would do some research on proper quantities before attempting
this solution, however, to prevent killing off the entire plant.

pam - gardengal

Old 26-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Peter Jason

Thanx for all replies....
I have been reading up on this, and copper sulfate is used to flush down
toilets to dissuade roots penetrating cracked sewer pipes, and to kill roots
present already.

The corpses of these killed roots are meant to rot away
after the treatment, though the copper may supress this since bacteria and
fungi are plants too.

I must check out the copper-injection process because
this might be done in a root far from the parent tree.

The tree in question is deciduous (possibly an Elm)
which shows vigorous growth every spring.