Old 04-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Anonny Moose

Default Protect Holly from Sapsuckers??

The sapsuckers are starting to drill my holly. They've drilled just about
every available inch of the nieghbor's holly, which happens to be right next
to mine, and now they've crossed the fence. Is there anything I can put on
the bark, or around the trunk to repel them?

karen
portland, or

Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 PM
sams

Probably hanging out some suet (stuck in a block of hollow-wood) to
ward them off from those tree trunks? Or check the tree what attracts
the sapsuckets to the holly this time? Dead tree branches and insects
could be attracting them.

Sam
New Fairfield, CT.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:32 AM

daub some tangle foot on the holly.. just enough to make it sticky. or use bird
netting wrapped around the trunk.

"Anonny Moose" wrote:

The sapsuckers are starting to drill my holly. They've drilled just about
every available inch of the nieghbor's holly, which happens to be right next
to mine, and now they've crossed the fence. Is there anything I can put on
the bark, or around the trunk to repel them?

karen
portland, or

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Sounds like your plant is being attacked by those Queer Eye for the sod guy
Master Gardeners!!!

Once they cross over the fence, nothing is sacred.

Some good old boy peckerwoods with shot guns should be able to scare off
those prissy avians!!!

Old 06-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Beecrofter

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message ...
The sapsuckers are starting to drill my holly. They've drilled just about
every available inch of the nieghbor's holly, which happens to be right next
to mine, and now they've crossed the fence. Is there anything I can put on
the bark, or around the trunk to repel them?

karen
portland, or

Control

To discourage sapsuckers from feeding on a favorite shade tree, wrap
hardware cloth or burlap around the area being tapped or smear a
sticky repellent material, such as bird tanglefoot, on the bark.