Rabbits are eating my pansies

Old 21-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Haubarg

Default Rabbits are eating my pansies

Rabbits are eating our pansies and other blooms
faster than I can plant them.
Does anybody have advice about how to change their
dietary preferences? Can't put wire mesh around the
plants, there are just too many.
I'm new to this group, if this question seems naive... sorry.
thanks

Rose
Old 21-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Brian

As someone will surely have said previously " Dead rabbits have very small
appetites". There is nothing that can deter rabbits other than dogs and
guns.
Permanently can only be achieved with wire and it does have to be
properly [and expensively] positioned.
Best Wishes.

Old 22-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Jacqueline

Fermented salmon from www.coastofmaine.com works for me. It's so stinky
that it'll drive away most anything, including nosy neighbors. It may not
be cost effective for a large area though.

--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA

Old 22-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Will Renkel

I use "liquid fence" from Franks.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.
REGISTERD Linux User: 300583

Old 22-04-2004, 04:06 PM
[email protected]

try some blood meal. it has to be reapplied after big rains, but it is a fertilizer
anyway, and it works to keep the squirrels from digging up my beds. Ingrid

Haubarg wrote:

Rabbits are eating our pansies and other blooms
faster than I can plant them.
Does anybody have advice about how to change their
dietary preferences? Can't put wire mesh around the
plants, there are just too many.
I'm new to this group, if this question seems naive... sorry.
thanks

Rose

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Lobo

Get a stinky bar of soap, like Irish Spring, and shave it with a paring
knife around your pansies. It worked with my tulips. You do have to re-do
it after a rain though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 24-04-2004, 06:03 AM
B & J

"Lobo" wrote in message
Get a stinky bar of soap, like Irish Spring, and shave it with a paring
knife around your pansies. It worked with my tulips. You do have to

re-do
it after a rain though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Irish Spring soap works for an extremely short period. We've tried it and
place it in the urban legend category. Extensive mesh fencing, electric
fences, and a .410 do work.

John

Old 24-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Enuf

Haubarg wrote in message . ..
Rabbits are eating our pansies and other blooms
faster than I can plant them.
Does anybody have advice about how to change their
dietary preferences? Can't put wire mesh around the
plants, there are just too many.
I'm new to this group, if this question seems naive... sorry.
thanks

Rose

I had the same problem for several years. Tried all the scents like
coyote urine, soaps, Rabbit Scat. etc with little success. I bought a
roll of fence material (48" wide, 2"x4" openings), cut it in about 6'
lengths, and turned down each side & ends about 6". I placed this
horizontally over the young plants, as many sections as needed for the
bed, and it worked perfectly! I had the best pansy bed ever with
almost no loss to rabbits or deer.

Enuf

Old 26-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Zemedelec

Now if pansies were eating your rabbits, I'd really worry. ...HEEEEEERe's
Audry!
zemedelec
Old 28-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Haubarg

Thanks for all the "Helpful'' replies.
Got a tip from a guy at our local Garden center.
He said: get some dog hair, stuff it in pantyhose
and hang in several places throughout the garden.
Haven't tried it yet, will let you know what happens.
We don't have a dog, if anyone can try this idea before we
get some dog hair please let us all know how it works.

thanks
Rose

Old 01-05-2004, 03:03 AM
M. Whittier

Haubarg wrote in message . ..
Rabbits are eating our pansies and other blooms
faster than I can plant them.
Does anybody have advice about how to change their
dietary preferences? Can't put wire mesh around the
plants, there are just too many.
I'm new to this group, if this question seems naive... sorry.
thanks

Rose

I've had very good luck with diluted egg whites (2 in about a cup of
water) sprayed with a cheapo spray bottle. Supposedly it's because
rabbits are herbivores, and the egg smell spoils the experience for
them. Speaking of spoiling, make sure you wash the spray bottle very
thoroughly or it'll get putrid very quickly. Liquid Fence (commercial
spray) is made of putrid eggs and garlic primarily, but the smell was
too bad for me to contend with. The egg whites need to be reapplied
after heavy rains, or weekly, but it's pretty damn cheap and easy (and
less cruel than pepper wax.)

Providing rabbits with a patch of clover is a good alternative, too.
They seem to prefer it over most other greens.

Also had good luck with human hair clippings keeping squirrels away.
Plus, I believe hair doubles as (very) slow release nitrogen.

Good luck-

Michael
Old 01-05-2004, 03:02 PM
SugarChile

I'm skeptical....my real dog ran about the yard, chased the rabbits, and
left not only hair but other odiferous presents in many places near the
garden, and it didn't seem to bother the rabbits at all.

I read somewhere once that tasty mammals like squirrels and rabbits have a
quick and highly honed fear response, but a short memory for fearsome
situations. They are tasty to predators, so they startle and run quickly,
but the memory fades just as quickly (otherwise they'd be too paralyzed to
do much of anything) and they come back and try again. Just like the rest
of us, they get hungry.

Not sure if it was mentioned in any previous responses, but I find that my
local rabbits prefer the clover in the lawn to almost any other food source.
If they do raid your garden, they prefer small tender plants, so if you can
get your peas and beans to a good size, with pepper spray or fencing,
they'll be less likely to eat them.

Good luck,
Sue

--

"Haubarg" wrote in message
Thanks for all the "Helpful'' replies.
Got a tip from a guy at our local Garden center.
He said: get some dog hair, stuff it in pantyhose
and hang in several places throughout the garden.
Haven't tried it yet, will let you know what happens.
We don't have a dog, if anyone can try this idea before we
get some dog hair please let us all know how it works.

thanks
Rose

Snapdragons, Pansies Darby Wiggins Gardening 5 13-05-2012 08:45 PM
rabbits John Savage Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM
Eating Organics Cuts Kids' Pesticide Loads Tom Jaszewski Gardening 6 03-02-2003 01:59 PM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM