Old 22-09-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Frugal silk plants? Or real house plants?

Im a bachelor......

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a few silk/fake
plants for decorating inside of home a bit.

Damn those plants seem expensive to me tho!!

Im wanting fairly good size fake palms.... or fake
"trees"....and prices seem to run abt $150 or so

It seems to me I can buy REAL palms and plants much
cheaper than the fake ones.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get frugal fake
plants?

Or should I forget the fake ones and just get some
REAL ones??

If replying via email please use:

morris63401 at yahoo dot com
Old 22-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Why were you thinking of fake plants?

Cause Im afraid I would kill real plants.... and that
they would require more care.... i.e.creating "one more
thing to do everyday".

But like I said fake plants seem VERY high
-

Old 22-09-2003, 06:32 PM

I don't have any fake plants. Buy plants what require very little
care.

OK.... might do that since fake plants seem
outrageously expensive.... especially at the size I
need. You see.... I have some corners and space that i
need to 'fill" up so as to not make my apt look so
barren.

Tell me..... what abt Bamboo Palm or something called
the Peace Lily? Or what abt Spider plants?

Are these plants that can take "abuse" and low light
levels??
-

Old 23-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Allview

I'm thinking silk also. I've had a nice ficus benjamina in the corner of my
window room for years and it has done well, but this year it was too heavy and
unwieldy to take outside for the summer. It is getting bigger and I am getting
older. I saw a nice silk tree at Hobby Lobby for $79.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 23-09-2003, 02:02 PM

They do dress up a place, don't they!

Well I think they do...even tho I have none right now.
lol

Massing plants in an area is especially attractive,
rather than just putting one here and one there.

that's a good idea I hadn't thought of.... massing all
the plants in one spot
Old 23-09-2003, 03:12 PM

1. paint your walls something besides white... dont leave the ceiling white. If you
cant paint, look for wall hangings even material glued to a rod can work wonders
2. corner etageres can hold collections of interesting things
3. make a corner vignette use a cushy stuffed chair and table, with a torchiere
behind it. put a couch at an angle to the corner and put the torchiere behind that
and a table holding a smaller real or fake plant.
4. get a real or fake large plant and use a can up light to put shadows on the wall
and ceiling, it doubles and triples the size.
5. combine real with fake plants so there isnt so much to take care of. Cyperus is
like papyrus. It does really well in one of those big oriental looking ceramic
containers with some light. even a nice hanging light with a round fluorescent
lights. just fill it with water every week or so and will do great. this is a
great time of year to find them at water gardening places... they are on sale in the
north cause they wont over winter outside.
Ingrid

wrote:
. I have some corners and space that i
need to 'fill" up so as to not make my apt look so
barren.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Shepherd

wrote in message
Im a bachelor......

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a few silk/fake
plants for decorating inside of home a bit.

Damn those plants seem expensive to me tho!!

Im wanting fairly good size fake palms.... or fake
"trees"....and prices seem to run abt $150 or so

It seems to me I can buy REAL palms and plants much
cheaper than the fake ones.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get frugal fake
plants?

Or should I forget the fake ones and just get some
REAL ones??

If replying via email please use:

morris63401 at yahoo dot com

Silk plants may seem expensive, but if you get real plants and don't have
the time or the desire to take care of them as needed, and have to replace
them from time to time, the price of real plants can add up fast.

Also consider the price of replacing water damaged carpets if you get
careless or have an accident watering real plants.

Maybe a very nice medium priced silk plant would be a better investment
after all especially for us bachelors.

Shepherd

Old 24-09-2003, 02:32 PM

Just curious why you are advising against white walls -

Yeah I am curious abt that as well
Old 24-09-2003, 02:32 PM

Silk plants may seem expensive, but if you get real plants and don't have
the time or the desire to take care of them as needed, and have to replace
them from time to time, the price of real plants can add up fast.

Yep

Well that's the debate Im having with myself....
whether fake or real plants are better for me

Hence my posting here to get some feed back.

[IMG] code is On

local source for silk plants Jeff Springer North Carolina 1 29-09-2003 10:32 PM
frugal shrubs? Mogie Gardening 2 31-08-2003 04:12 PM
Climbing Shot Silk Question THANKS Cass & Radika!! MichaelK Roses 0 23-08-2003 06:02 AM
Climbing Shot Silk Question MichaelK Roses 3 22-08-2003 06:04 AM
Chorisia speciosa (Floss Silk Tree) in Sydney? Richard Wright Australia 0 28-04-2003 07:20 AM