pruning lilacs

Old 30-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Romy Beeck

Default pruning lilacs

Can anyone tell me when the best time to prune lilacs. Some say: right after
they bloom and die. Some say early spring
I would love more info becouse my lilacs have been very short in blooming
the last few years. THANK YOU

Old 30-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Mike LaMana

I say right after bloom, before they go to seed, and before the summer
solstice. This will lead to the best allocation to new types of buds for the
plant.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 31-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Grandpa

We trim ours right after they bloom and they are as hearty as they could be.

Romy Beeck wrote:

Can anyone tell me when the best time to prune lilacs. Some say: right after
they bloom and die. Some say early spring
I would love more info becouse my lilacs have been very short in blooming
the last few years. THANK YOU

pruning a apple srout stephane Boutin United Kingdom 1 15-04-2003 04:21 PM
Pruning Artemisia Polar Gardening 2 01-04-2003 05:56 AM
Pruning Plants - long Stuart Mueller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 14-03-2003 07:51 AM
Guava pruning Dennis P. Turner Australia 0 01-03-2003 12:04 PM
Autumn pruning Carol Russell United Kingdom 2 03-11-2002 11:05 AM