Japanese Maple tree meets Round-Up weed killer

Old 09-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Kel

Default Japanese Maple tree meets Round-Up weed killer

Hi all -

I made a pretty bad error the other day when I pulled an unlabeled
container from the garage that I thought contained a bug controlling
soap solution. Instead, I pulled the container with a Round-Up
solution in it and proceeded to "protect" my poor Jap. Maple tree.
I'm such an idiot and feel so bad about this...at least as bad as you
can feel for a tree.

It's not dead (many branches are, though), but new leaves are coming
in that appear to be mutated...much smaller than normal and
odd-shaped. Very strange looking.

Does anyone know if there's any chance of it returning to normal next
season? Or should I put it out of its misery and plant a new one?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Marley1372

It realy depends on the dillution and how much you sprayed on the tree. Woody
plants require a much higher rate than herbaceous weeds to really kill(close to
10% solution). It will take a week or two before you really see the effects.
On a side note, leaving unlabeled pesticides in your shed is totally
irresponsible, but thats just my opinion

Toad
Old 10-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Kel

On a side note, leaving unlabeled pesticides in your shed is totally
irresponsible, but thats just my opinion

I agree toad, so it's not just your opinion.

Glad to hear that they can come back over time.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:05 AM

I've seen trees come back from round-up applications because it takes more
than application to kill large plants such as trees. But it can take awhile
for the tree to over come the damage, two to three years plus.

Favorites:
http://www.burpee.com
http://www.wrightgardens.com
http://www.gardencenterdirectory.com

"Kel" wrote in message
m...
Hi all -

I made a pretty bad error the other day when I pulled an unlabeled
container from the garage that I thought contained a bug controlling
soap solution. Instead, I pulled the container with a Round-Up
solution in it and proceeded to "protect" my poor Jap. Maple tree.
I'm such an idiot and feel so bad about this...at least as bad as you
can feel for a tree.

It's not dead (many branches are, though), but new leaves are coming
in that appear to be mutated...much smaller than normal and
odd-shaped. Very strange looking.

Does anyone know if there's any chance of it returning to normal next
season? Or should I put it out of its misery and plant a new one?

Sick Japanese Maple Tree Andrew Tan Gardening 14 29-04-2003 03:56 PM
Japanese Maple Update Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 14-04-2003 03:44 PM
Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) kevin bailey Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 10:56 AM
Japanese Maple HI HI- Gardening 2 22-03-2003 01:08 PM
biggest weed in TX was Greenbelt Tree ID? txbelle Texas 0 07-02-2003 02:18 AM