Old 12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
HPBudlong

Default fast growing hedge

A new development is starting along the north side our yard and there is going
to be extensive grading. What was 45 acres of hills and fields will now be
graded into sharp slopes with 1 acre flat pads on each 5 acre lot. Already
there have been huge tractors with spiked rollers out to clear the brush, which
had resulted in the horse trail, which was compacted and hard now being 6-9
inches of fine dust, which flies into the air at the slightest disturbance.
Needless to say, I'd rather the lot remains wilderness, but it looks like
progress will have it's way.

So I need to come up with a fast growing tall, thick hedge that will keep out
the dust as much as possible.

We're zone 9, southern California.

Any suggestions.

Helen
Old 12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Travis

HPBudlong wrote:
A new development is starting along the north side our yard and there is going
to be extensive grading. What was 45 acres of hills and fields will now be
graded into sharp slopes with 1 acre flat pads on each 5 acre lot. Already
there have been huge tractors with spiked rollers out to clear the brush, which
had resulted in the horse trail, which was compacted and hard now being 6-9
inches of fine dust, which flies into the air at the slightest disturbance.
Needless to say, I'd rather the lot remains wilderness, but it looks like
progress will have it's way.

So I need to come up with a fast growing tall, thick hedge that will keep out
the dust as much as possible.

We're zone 9, southern California.

Any suggestions.

Helen

Don't you have laws requiring the builder/developer to control the dust?
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 13-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Emil

"HPBudlong" wrote in message
[...]

You wouldn't happen to live in Sunland/Shadow Hills would you?

Emil

Old 13-06-2004, 10:02 PM
HPBudlong

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one, but because the hedge will be
along a horse trail and oleanders are posionous I may not be able to use them.
Helen

Old 14-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Vox Humana

"HPBudlong" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one, but because the hedge will be
along a horse trail and oleanders are posionous I may not be able to use

them.
Helen

I sort of doubt that any hedge will eliminate dust. I can see using plant
material to block a view, create shade, and muffle noise. I don't even
think a solid wall or fence would eliminate dust.

[IMG] code is On

Fast growing hedge [email protected] United Kingdom 11 09-11-2011 04:42 PM
Fast Growing Hedge Bella Gardening 2 09-09-2005 12:51 AM
Fast Growing Tall Hedge? daecc Gardening 15 04-01-2004 12:42 PM
Fast-growing but attractive hedge required, apply within Richard United Kingdom 14 07-02-2003 12:13 PM
Fast-growing but attractive hedge required, apply within sacha United Kingdom 4 06-02-2003 10:28 PM