Old 13-06-2004, 10:02 PM
FayeC

Default is there a natural way to keep rabbits off your garden?

Hi,

We are having a crazy year with rabbits......we hadn't had many around the
neighborhood for a while but this year they have become a menace to annuals
and perennials alike......
Is there a way (herb, other plants, etc) to keep them from destroying the
garden?
The scent of my dog didn't do much to keep them away.....

Thanks in advance,

FayeC

Old 14-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Ron Hardin

FayeC wrote:

Hi,

We are having a crazy year with rabbits......we hadn't had many around the
neighborhood for a while but this year they have become a menace to annuals
and perennials alike......
Is there a way (herb, other plants, etc) to keep them from destroying the
garden?
The scent of my dog didn't do much to keep them away.....

Thanks in advance,

FayeC

Hot Pepper Wax, if you don't mind hot pepper on vegetables.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 14-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Romy Beeck

"My friend has been telling me now for a few years that he puts jars in his
garden with water in them and it keeps the rabbits away. I'm going to try it
this year becouse i planted lettus and i know there are rabbits around here.

Old 14-06-2004, 04:02 AM
paghat

In article , "Romy Beeck"
wrote:

"My friend has been telling me now for a few years that he puts jars in his
garden with water in them and it keeps the rabbits away. I'm going to try it
this year becouse i planted lettus and i know there are rabbits around here.

That's just so silly. See this article on the magical method of scary
water bottles posted about one's gardens, where they'd look every so
properly in context if the yard were already in general strewn with emptyh
beer bottles & cornbeef hash cans:
http://www.paghat.com/bottles.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 14-06-2004, 09:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

"FayeC" wrote in message
Hi,

We are having a crazy year with rabbits......we hadn't had many around the
neighborhood for a while but this year they have become a menace to

annuals
and perennials alike......
Is there a way (herb, other plants, etc) to keep them from destroying the
garden?
The scent of my dog didn't do much to keep them away.....

Thanks in advance,

FayeC

How about using the full dog not just the scent?

David

Old 15-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Karl L. Wuensch

Fence the garden with one-inch mesh wire, or hire a pack of wolves.

http://personal.ecu.edu/wuenschk/rabbits.htm

Karl W.

Old 15-06-2004, 12:02 PM
dps

Karl L. Wuensch wrote:
Fence the garden with one-inch mesh wire, or hire a pack of wolves.

one-inch mesh is probably overkill for rabbits. Only newly hatched
rabbits could fit through it. Also, rabbits can jump quite well, so to
be completely effective, the fence would have to be about 5-6' high.
Rabbits are also good at digging, so unless you bury it a foot or two,
they can go under. (Actually you don't have to bury it deep: bury it a
couple of inches deep, parallel with the surface for a couple of feet.
That way you don't have to dig a deep trench. When they come to the
fence and start digging they encounter the fence.)

An easier solution is to fence the garden with something that makes it
difficult (it's unlikely you'll make it impossible) for the rabbits to
get in (such as "rabbit fencing") *and* provide something tasty outside
the fence. Clover in the lawn works quite well and is beneficial to the
lawn. If there's something they like outside the fence, there's no
incentive for them to make the effort to get inside.

"Rabbit fencing" is probably available at your local hardware store. It
is basically a 4" mesh doubled up at the bottom. It's about 3' high. The
rabbits can jump over it without any apparent effort, but it seems to be
enough to deter them if there's something good outside. At least, it
works for me.

The dog (or wolf) on patrol of the yard is reputed to be effective, but
it has to be the right kind of dog and the dog has to be there all the
time. I haven't tried it.