Old 06-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Bob

Default Cure for dog urine smell outside?

Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?
Thanks

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Cereus-validus

No thanks.

It give me gas!!

Do you mean giving it to the dog?

"Paulo" wrote in message
news
how about baking soda?

--
Paulo

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Doug Kanter

This kind of treatment?
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5501&return=Y

.. .

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Blues Ma

Bob wrote:

Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in.* Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?
Thanks

Dilute the product by heavily watering the toilet area.
*
*
*

Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

- Hi,
- I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
- around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
- urine.
- Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
- dog?
- Thanks

How about hosing the area down once a day?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Sunflower

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?
Thanks

Lime can be sprinkled over the area and watered in and will help, but
really, daily hosing is the only thing that works well for urine. I'm
assuming you are scooping the solids. Teaching your dog to go in one
particular spot instead of the entire area would also at least confine the
problem. You could gravel in in and then it would be feasable to use some
of the organic septic system treatments that digest waste to speed up the
process.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Roy

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:42:46 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

===Hi,
===I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
===around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
===urine.
===Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
===dog?
===Thanks
===

Go to any of ther major large pet suplly stores (Pet Smart, Pets Plus
etc etc) and they have a gallon container of stuff you can spray on
the area and the smell will go away without doing any harm to whats
growing there or the dog. It will take a heap of water to wash it
away even with baking soda etc, which is probably going to alter the
ph of the soil in the process. All those daily leaks the dog has been
taking has filtered down deep into the soil base and its gonna be a
lingering problem...........without the proper nutralizer sold (some
kind of enzyme from what I have read on it)
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 AM
escapee

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:42:46 GMT, "Bob" opined:

Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?
Thanks

Yeah, a leash and a walk several times a day.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Yeah, a leash and a walk several times a day.

Not only that, be sure to take the dog with you when you do.

Only a twit doesn't take his dog for a walk every day.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 AM
nswong

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to

roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour

smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not

harmful to my
dog?

I believe cover it with a layer of compost will help.

"chaz" wrote in message
ink.net...

This is from my compost note:

Many gardeners with a high proportion of acid-rich materials to
compost mistakenly add lime to their pile to produce compost with a
balanced pH. Unfortunately, adding ground limestone will turn your
compost ecosystem into an ammonia factory, with nitrogen rapidly lost
as a noxious gas.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

"Bob" wrote in message . ..
Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?

A good watering followed by spreading a few pounds of sugar over the
surface followed by another watering.
The sugar will provide a large amount of carbohydrate to feed the soil
bacteria who will tie up the excess nitrogen in their bodies as they
multiply instead of outgassing all that ammonia and stink.
A 5lb bag spread over a 10'x20' area would be a good start, repeat in
a couple of days. Other sources of carbon such as sifted compost will
help keep the soil healthy and allow the soil bacteria to break down
the wastes. Don't let the soil go dry or bacterial action will slow
down.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"chaz" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell

of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to

my
dog?
Thanks

what about lime?

Also useful when you bury the stinking animal.