GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Basil Dying fast -stem browning from ground up (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/81210-basil-dying-fast-stem-browning-ground-up.html)

DigitalVinyl 06-08-2004 10:53 PM

Basil Dying fast -stem browning from ground up

My basil is dying fast

Yesterday the thing looked very wilted so I gave it an extra watering,
but today it looks worse and the entire plants looks like it is dying.
The stems are browning from the root upwards. It looks brown to
darkish brown. It looks like whatever is moving up all the stems. SOme
branches appear to be shedding their leaves. I found a pile of dead
leaves under the branches.

Sound familiar to anyone.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Bob 07-08-2004 04:28 AM

Basil Dying fast -stem browning from ground up

Do a search for "basil wilt".

If that's it, it's not good news.

Bob

DigitalVinyl 07-08-2004 06:51 AM

Basil Dying fast -stem browning from ground up

"Bob" wrote:

Do a search for "basil wilt".

If that's it, it's not good news.

It matches everythign except the fact that my plant was a two foot
high bush and very full and will probably look like sticks tomorrow.
The wilt usually affects it before it reahes 12 inches. I even found
some stem tips that had turned completely brown with healthy green
stem further down. Very weird and very sudden. I think it is this
wilt--which means I need to toss the batch of seeds I grew this from.
Next year I'll have to look for a non-sweet variety.

Bob

.. .

charles ufford 08-08-2004 10:43 PM

DigitalVinyl wrote:
My basil is dying fast

Yesterday the thing looked very wilted so I gave it an extra watering,
but today it looks worse and the entire plants looks like it is dying.
The stems are browning from the root upwards. It looks brown to
darkish brown. It looks like whatever is moving up all the stems. SOme
branches appear to be shedding their leaves. I found a pile of dead
leaves under the branches.

Sound familiar to anyone.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

It's called damping-off, and it is because the basil got too cool and/or wet around the
base. Watering more will make it worse, but if all the stems are brown then it is gone.
Chemicals will cost more than a new plant, but usually this problem is from the plants
being too wet, either from not enough light and/or air movement or just plain too much
rain. It happens alot with new seedlings of many kinds of garden plants often in the
spring when the ground is cool and wet.
charles

DigitalVinyl 09-08-2004 04:17 AM

charles ufford wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:
[...]

I've never heard of damping off happening to large plants. This was
two large bush-like plants 2 feet high, 2 feet wide. The transplant
went in the ground in May so it was 10 weeks after transplant--I think
I bought it at a nursery. I've been pulling flowers off the basil a
few weeks. We did have soaking rains but the ground actually looked
fairly dry when I noticed how wilted it was--so I watered it thinking
it was not getting enough.

Now too cool is interesting becuase we just had sudden cool days
including cool nights about 60 degrees. And it was when the cool
weather started that i first noticed the wilted condition.