Old 03-09-2004, 01:54 PM
TQuinn

Default Cherry Tree Leaf Spot/Powdery Mildew questions.

Hi, I'm in Zone 6b/7, and every year after the heavy rain during the Summer, the
Cherry tree in my yard gets leaf spot. Needless to say I want to do something
about it, is there something I can treat my lawn with to fight the fungus that's
causing the spots? I know it won't help this year, but I'd like to plan for
next year.

Also, could powdery mildew on the euonymus hedges underneath the tree be related
to the leaf spot? The leaves fall on the hedges and the surrounding lawn
constantly.

I'd like recommendations on what works best to prevent/clear up fungus, I also
need to know what would be safe for my pets that like to graze in the lawn.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Pam - gardengal

"TQuinn" wrote in message
[...]

Cherries and most members of the Prunus genus are prone to a whole host of
insect and disease problems, including a great many fungal problems. Leaf
spot or shothole fungus is extremely common and there are no cherries that
are particularly resistant. Sanitation is the primary means of control as
the spores overwinter on fallen leaves. Rake up and destroy ALL the leaves
from this tree. For non-commercial growers, repeated chemical treatments are
not typically advised, as the problem is generally not serious enough to
cause defoliation or damage to the fruit. If you feel you must spray, I'd
recommend a dormant season spray of horticultural oil to smother any
remaining spores on the tree itself and this can be followed by a registered
fungicide at petal drop and at periodic intervals during the season if
monitoring warrants. The spores tend to proliferate with damp weather in the
spring and with summer humidity, with the largest development occuring when
temperatures are in the 60-68F range.

You don't need to spray the lawn and it's certainly not advised if you have
pets or small children around. Powdery mildew on the euonymus is not related
to the leaf spot and is typically a late season disease associated with dry
soil and humidity and lack of air circulation. Clean the leaves out of the
hedge as they fall, water the root zone deeply when you do water and thin to
improve air circulation. Spraying down the hedge with a strong stream of
water can actually wash off a good portion of the mycelia, as this fungus is
primarily topical and can be removed if caught early by washing or even
wiping the foliage. Powdery mildew on woody plants is usually only cosmetic
in nature.

pam - gardengal

Old 05-09-2004, 12:16 AM
TQuinn

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:25:59 GMT, Pam - gardengal transmitted this:

"TQuinn" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

We just started raking the leaves this season, before that I used to just run
the mulching mower over them, which I now know was a big mistake.

For non-commercial growers, repeated chemical treatments are
not typically advised, as the problem is generally not serious enough to
cause defoliation or damage to the fruit. If you feel you must spray, I'd
recommend a dormant season spray of horticultural oil to smother any
remaining spores on the tree itself and this can be followed by a registered
fungicide at petal drop and at periodic intervals during the season if
monitoring warrants. The spores tend to proliferate with damp weather in the
spring and with summer humidity, with the largest development occuring when
temperatures are in the 60-68F range.

I've seen horticultural oil online, I'll do that this year, and with any luck
that'll do it. The weather you described is exactly when the spots start, one
year we had mild weather and the tree lost all of its leaves in August, of
course my brainy solution was to mulch all the fallen leaves. D'oh!

You don't need to spray the lawn and it's certainly not advised if you have
pets or small children around.

Will the area around the tree be safe for the pets if I spray with horticultural
oil? I know they won't be sitting under the tree while I'm spraying, but they
like to sit under the tree and wait for squirrels most of the time.

Powdery mildew on the euonymus is not related
to the leaf spot and is typically a late season disease associated with dry
soil and humidity and lack of air circulation. Clean the leaves out of the
hedge as they fall, water the root zone deeply when you do water and thin to
improve air circulation. Spraying down the hedge with a strong stream of
water can actually wash off a good portion of the mycelia, as this fungus is
primarily topical and can be removed if caught early by washing or even
wiping the foliage. Powdery mildew on woody plants is usually only cosmetic
in nature.

Great! I was worried I'd be transferring all kinds of fungus to my aunt and
uncle's yard, I have some smaller euonymus cuttings that I've been growing for
them under the big ones, and they all have powdery mildew right now, most likely
because I've been over watering the cuttings, they're all in the shade of our
shed too, so I'll try cleaning off as much as I can, and then if that doesn't
work, I think I read on here that diluted baking soda or milk helps treat it?

Thanks very much, you put my mind at ease, I thought all our plants were doomed.

-T