Old 05-09-2004, 12:16 AM
TQuinn

Default Transplanting a mulberry tree.

While I'm asking questions, I have a Mulberry tree that's growing in the middle
of my yard, not really in a great location, and I'd love to move it so it could
help block the afternoon sun like it's late, great ancestor used to. The only
problem is the tree is now seven feet tall.

Can this tree be moved or would I be killing it? I'm pretty good at
transplanting, but I know from our old mulberry tree that they're touchy about
having anything done to them. If there's a chance it would live, when would be
the best time to move it, and about how much excavating am I looking at where
the roots are concerned? Also, can mulberries get girdled roots? We just lost
a Gum tree to that and it ****ed me off, I loved that tree.

(I know some people hate mulberry trees, but I love the leaves and the birds it
attracts, plus I'm getting roasted in my yard since the old mulberry tree had to
come down.)

Thanks again!
-I'm thinking of changing my name to "No luck keeping trees".
Old 09-09-2004, 06:14 AM
TQuinn

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:16:27 GMT, TQuinn transmitted this:

I take it the tree will die if I try to move it, and you don't have the heart to
tell me?

Old 09-09-2004, 07:45 AM
The Watcher

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 05:14:04 GMT, TQuinn wrote:

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:16:27 GMT, TQuinn transmitted this:

I take it the tree will die if I try to move it, and you don't have the heart to
tell me?

I've tranplanted mulberries bigger than that. It's quite some
work(especially here in the Ozarks), but it can be done. It would be
best to do it during the late winter/early spring, while it's dormant.
I transplanted one a couple of years ago, and it seems to be doing
fine. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I
planted it right beside my chicken coop, where the soil is very
fertile, and gets plenty of water. I've also transplanted other trees,
walnuts, oaks, black cherry, sycamores, dogwoods, redbuds, and a few
others on my property, but I've learned to try to get them when
they're smaller.
Old 13-09-2004, 12:21 AM
TQuinn

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:45:31 -0500, The Watcher transmitted this:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 05:14:04 GMT, TQuinn wrote:

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:16:27 GMT, TQuinn transmitted this:

I take it the tree will die if I try to move it, and you don't have the heart to
tell me?

I've tranplanted mulberries bigger than that. It's quite some
work(especially here in the Ozarks), but it can be done. It would be
best to do it during the late winter/early spring, while it's dormant.
I transplanted one a couple of years ago, and it seems to be doing
fine. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I
planted it right beside my chicken coop, where the soil is very
fertile, and gets plenty of water. I've also transplanted other trees,
walnuts, oaks, black cherry, sycamores, dogwoods, redbuds, and a few
others on my property, but I've learned to try to get them when
they're smaller.

Good to hear, thanks. I was planning on starting to move it in
January/Feburary, is that good? (That's saying there won't be three feet of
snow on the ground, I'm in NY.) Also, would making a trench around the tree
help with the roots? I've done that with much smaller plants, and I'm not sure
if the same would apply to a tree.

Thanks again!

-T
Old 13-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Babberney

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:21:01 GMT, TQuinn wrote:

[...]

divide the root zone into sectors and cut through the outside of every
other sector now. Then when you dig up the tree in the fall/winter it
will have a head start on a new, compact root ball.
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 14-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Watcher

[...]

It would probably help. I've done it sometimes. Usually I just dig up
the tree, trying to get as many of the roots as possible. The soil I
have here doesn't form a rootball very well, so I just let it fall
away from the roots and transplant the tree bare-root, watering it in
with plenty of good soil around the roots in the new spot.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.