Old 20-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Sterling

Default identify - crocosmia vs. gladiolus corms

OK - couple of years ago I planted these together. I waited too late to
dig them up and now have them all mixed up. I should have tied some
strings around the crocosmias but that was then and this is now...

Any way to tell the difference in the corms to separate them? They look
just alike to me. Some are bigger, but the shape and color look the
same. Is there some subtle variation? Some are pretty big - anyone know
what is the size limit for glads? - maybe that could separate some of them.

I hate the idea of planting them all together again...
Old 22-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Atar

I only have one Crocosmia, C. x masonorum 'Lucifer' (OK, I guess I have a
few "reverts" that look like the old-fashioned, smaller, orange ones), but
mine don't have as much in the way of "tunics" as Gladiolus. Just a very
thin papery tunic that tears off really easily (doesn't seem to harm them
too much). Glads seem to have more substantial tunics. My Crocosmias also
happen to be much more vigorous, with up to 4 corms stacked one on top the
other, as new ones form and the old ones are still alive. I've never seen
glads do that; they usually just have 2 generations of corms.

Both Glads and Crocosmia corms get potentially huge, depending on cultivar,
so all bets are off regarding size.

Just a shot in the dark since no one else has answered.

Atar

--
Enjoy reading about special plants from interesting parts of the world on my
blog at wildestdreamsofkew.blogspot.com
Old 23-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Sterling

tunics - nice choice of words...
these all look the same - been in the ground too long I expect. But I do
appreciate your answering - especially since no one else has even
ventured a guess...All seem to be stacked too. I guess I'll plant them
back all together and mark them in bloom next summer.