Old 21-11-2004, 03:37 PM
murdoch5

Default taking cuttings

can anyone tell me the best time to take cuttings from plants, i am an
amatuer as you might expect, does it depend on the plant? looking
forward to any replys
Old 21-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Pam - gardengal

"murdoch5" wrote in message
om...
can anyone tell me the best time to take cuttings from plants, i am an
amatuer as you might expect, does it depend on the plant? looking
forward to any replys

Yes, it does depend significantly on the plant in question - some are better
served with softwood cuttings, others with hardwood cuttings and the timing
of those is seasonal by plant. Can you be more specific as to what types of
plants you are interested in taking cuttings of so we can customize the
answers?

pam - gardengal

Old 21-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Stephen Henning

(murdoch5) wrote:

can anyone tell me the best time to take cuttings from plants, i am an
amateur as you might expect, does it depend on the plant?

It definitely depends upon the plant. Hardwood cuttings from deciduous
trees are usually taken in the fall and allowed to for callouses during
the winter. Evergreen plants like azaleas and rhododendrons have
cuttings taken in the fall and they are stuck immediately. Softwood
cuttings are frequently taken anytime.

For a good introduction check out:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html
Plant Propagation by Stem Cuttings: Instructions for the Home Gardener

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...2/pnw0152.html
Propagating Deciduous and Evergreen Shrubs, Trees, and Vines with Stem
Cuttings.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...51/pnw0151.pdf
Propagating herbaceous plants from cuttings

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/horticulture/g337.htm
Propagating Houseplants

http://www.rainyside.com/resources/p.../cuttings.html
Propagation of Plants by Stem

http://Rooting.UCDavis.Edu/
Rooting Database

A couple pointers. Find out about these topics:
sterile media
rooting hormones
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to