caring for Gardenia's in Winter

Old 20-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Jawahar Rajan

Default caring for Gardenia's in Winter

I have gardenia in a large pot. All summer it was firn outside. Now that
winter is here how do I care for it. DO I take in in doors? Do I cover it?
if so what should I use? DoI need to trim any of the stems?

I live in Raleigh North Carolina and we de get a few inches of snow (may be
1 to 2 inchdes avg whole season) But also ICE storms are frequent (2 -3
times a in the winter).

Any advis or help is appreciated
Jawahar

Old 20-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Frank Logullo

"Jawahar Rajan" wrote in message
m...
I have gardenia in a large pot. All summer it was firn outside. Now that
winter is here how do I care for it. DO I take in in doors? Do I cover it?
if so what should I use? DoI need to trim any of the stems?

I live in Raleigh North Carolina and we de get a few inches of snow (may

be
1 to 2 inchdes avg whole season) But also ICE storms are frequent (2 -3
times a in the winter).

I bring mine in, northern DE, and it thrives in moderately sunny window with
good watering and occasional sprinkling of lawn fertilizer. I mist to keep
down spider mites and had a scale problem solved with systemic spraying
outside. Gardenia is over 30 years old. Gives lots of flowers and now has
several little clones, some of which, I'll give as Christmas presents.
Frank

Old 21-11-2004, 04:41 PM
David Ross

Jawahar Rajan wrote:

I have gardenia in a large pot. All summer it was firn outside. Now that
winter is here how do I care for it. DO I take in in doors? Do I cover it?
if so what should I use? DoI need to trim any of the stems?

I live in Raleigh North Carolina and we de get a few inches of snow (may be
1 to 2 inchdes avg whole season) But also ICE storms are frequent (2 -3
times a in the winter).

Any advis or help is appreciated
Jawahar

G. jasminoides (now known as G. augusta and including such popular
varieties as 'Mystery' and 'Veitchii') should be hardy to 20F. If
the cold weather comes on gradually, it can even take colder
temperatures. Indoors, you may have to provide extra humidity
(e.g., mist the foliage daily).

Other Gardenia species are far more tender and cannot take even
light frost.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

winter water temperatures Ka30P Ponds 14 07-09-2004 01:16 AM
Trident Maple Air Layer - Winter? Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 02-09-2004 03:02 PM
Too much fertilizer makes vegetables poisonous? Tony Edible Gardening 8 26-10-2003 01:12 AM
Planting Winter Rye Grass Paul W. Campbell Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
An even longer climate FAQ Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 2 28-02-2003 02:28 AM