Old 20-02-2005, 09:58 PM
junkyardcat

Default Liquid Sulpher for Powdery Mildew control

Every year, my plum trees and peach trees get Powdery Mildew which ruins the
fruit. I read that Liquid Sulphur is good to get rid of powdery mildew. Has
anyone ever tried it...and if so, did it work?

Thanks!
Angie

Old 20-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Travis

junkyardcat wrote:
Every year, my plum trees and peach trees get Powdery Mildew which
ruins the fruit. I read that Liquid Sulphur is good to get rid of
powdery mildew. Has anyone ever tried it...and if so, did it work?

Thanks!
Angie

I don't know about Liquid Sulphur but Neem oil is supposed be good for
prevention and control of Powdery Mildew.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 20-02-2005, 11:45 PM
paghat

In article , "junkyardcat"
wrote:

Every year, my plum trees and peach trees get Powdery Mildew which ruins the
fruit. I read that Liquid Sulphur is good to get rid of powdery mildew. Has
anyone ever tried it...and if so, did it work?

Thanks!
Angie

A dilute milk spray works better than sulphur, baking soda, chemical
fungicide, or any other method of powdery mildew control. The field
studies show dilute milk not just slightly better but far & away the best
treatment. For a while it was thought diluted WHOLE milk was necessary as
the original field trials in Brazil used whole milk. But later trials in
New Zealand found that dilute SKIM milk works just as well. Here's a
typical article on the topic:

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tv/mildew.html

Powdery mildew does not like wet conditions & is at its worst when leaves
are dry or plants underwatered. Powdery mildew is somewhat disrupted by
just about ANYthing, including sprays of plain water, or sneezing on it --
so all kinds of lousy treatments have some positive effect, just not
nearly positive enough. The fact that anything SORT OF works permits a lot
of not-quite-entirely-worthless treatment methods to be recommended. Yet
real control can REALLY be had from sprays of milk in a 1:9 ratio (10%),
beginning before powdery mildew appears if you don't want to see any at
all.

Vendors of gardening products have been chary of spreading the information
that no control for powdery mildew works better than dilute milk, because
if they don't sell the real fix, they'd rather you believe you need the
stuff they do sell, up to & including about $600 or $800 worth of
worthless equipment to make soil tea to spray on plants. Just remember
milk is hands-down the best treatment -- whether on an orchard, a
vineyard, a field of squash, a field of wheat, beebalms, shrubs...

The second-best (a distant second) treatment is with horticultural oil,
which however can gum up the leaves. Neem or other horticultural oil can
be used, however, as a soil-drench to bind the powdery mildew spoors to
the ground before they can get up on the trees or other plants.

Dilute milk does not work for other types of fungus however.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 21-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Travis

paghat wrote:
In article , "junkyardcat"
wrote:

Every year, my plum trees and peach trees get Powdery Mildew which
ruins the fruit. I read that Liquid Sulphur is good to get rid of
powdery mildew. Has anyone ever tried it...and if so, did it work?

Thanks!
Angie

A dilute milk spray works better than sulphur, baking soda, chemical
fungicide, or any other method of powdery mildew control. The field
studies show dilute milk not just slightly better but far & away
the best treatment. For a while it was thought diluted WHOLE milk
was necessary as the original field trials in Brazil used whole
milk. But later trials in New Zealand found that dilute SKIM milk
works just as well. Here's a typical article on the topic:

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tv/mildew.html

That site sure tries to load me up with cookies.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 21-02-2005, 03:00 AM
Registered User

Paghat, Many thanks from me too! I'm going to try it on my gooseberries this year.

Amazin'
Old 21-02-2005, 05:15 AM

Hi all,

I've only recently joined. This post on Powdery Mildew is wonderful.
I'd like to add to it a bit.

This past summer, bemoaning the idea that I might lose a Meteor cherry
to leaf spot, I used a Jerry Baker idea which combined powdered milk
with sulphered molasses. Cheap, and it worked really well.. I confess
I never thought to use it on the powdery mildew.

More food for thought! Thanks, folks.

Joan Taylor

Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM

it doesnt work any better than baking soda spray. the idea is to raise the pH. lime
sulfur is tricky. I use a single oil on my grapes and use a curtain system that lets
the leaves dry out (zone 5, dryer area). on fruit, use something suggested for
fruit. unlike pesticides, fungicides doesnt kill predator insects. Ingrid

figaro wrote:
Wow, thanks for the great tip. I just planted my first wine grapes a month
ago and I'll try out the milk spray on them this year. Your extensive plant
knowledge is very impressive and I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks
for sharing.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE