Old 18-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Ted Shoemaker

Default fireplace ashes in the garden?

(Big sigh.) It seems that whatever one person advises, someone else
advises just the opposite. Here's today's question:

Is it a GOOD idea, or a BAD idea, to put fireplace ashes in the garden
soil? Why? What are the particulars?

I suppose it makes a difference if we're talking about a fireplace that
burns wood, or one where we dump our old newspapers (in my case, both);
and it matters what's growing in the garden (mostly flowers, but we're
going to try berries).

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

Old 18-03-2005, 02:58 AM
Phisherman

Ashes from a fireplace or wood-burning stove (not burned BBQ
briquettes!) can be used to sweeten acidic soil. Five pounds of ashes
over 100 sqft will raise the pH by about 0.5. If your soil is
alkaline, using ashes is BAD idea. If your soil is below 6.5, adding
ashes is a GOOD idea. Ashes contain high levels of potash, potassium,
phosphorus, and calcium. Avoid putting ashes near acid-loving plants
such as azaleas or blueberries.

Old 18-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shoemaker
(Big sigh.) It seems that whatever one person advises, someone else
advises just the opposite. Here's today's question:

Is it a GOOD idea, or a BAD idea, to put fireplace ashes in the garden soil? Why? What are the particulars?

I suppose it makes a difference if we're talking about a fireplace that burns wood, or one where we dump our old newspapers (in my case, both); and it matters what's growing in the garden (mostly flowers, but we're
going to try berries).

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43
Hi Ted,

This article will explain what using wood ashes does to the soil.
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/homegr...s/woodshes.htm

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 18-03-2005, 03:34 PM
simy1

1) if you are going to try blueberries, wood ash kills them. My
raspberries take happily modest amounts of wood ash

2) other having covered pH concerns, I am assuming that Wisconsin has
moderately acid soil. In most cases flowers will appreciate a little
yearly application of wood ash. Flowers will not mind if you burned a
lot of funny stuff in your stove besides the wood,

3) some vegetables love wood ash, specially onions, beets, chard,
spinach, but also cabbage, carrots, lettuce and tomatoes like it. All
this from direct experience in my acid soil.

Wood ash should contain all necessary nutrients for growth (specially
the micronutrients except S, it is 50% Ca for example), except for
insufficient amounts of P, and no N. I use about two 5 gallon buckets
of wood ash every year, for about 1000 sq ft of vegetable gardening
space. I mix it in with perhaps two tons of organic matter of course,
and I add a bit of urea or high N/P grass fertilizer.

Old 19-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Ted Shoemaker

Hey, I got good explanations, not just stubborn opinions!

Thanks to all who responded.

Ted Shoemaker