GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Earthworms inside a house - please help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/91234-earthworms-inside-house-please-help.html)

[email protected] 21-03-2005 09:15 PM

Earthworms inside a house - please help

After a 20 minute rain, my driveway and patio are literally covered
with hundreds of worms, all heading for my house. They find tiny
holes/cracks on the outside of the house and crawl inside, where they
completely freak out my 12-year old daughter.

We are amazed at the quantity of earthworms that seem to be
concentrated around our house. Is there any way to prevent the worms
from invading our house? I am getting sick and tired waking up to 10
worms crawling on my kitchen floor.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Wolfe 21-03-2005 09:40 PM

After a 20 minute rain, my driveway and patio are literally covered
with hundreds of worms, all heading for my house. They find tiny
holes/cracks on the outside of the house and crawl inside, where they
completely freak out my 12-year old daughter.

We are amazed at the quantity of earthworms that seem to be
concentrated around our house. Is there any way to prevent the worms
from invading our house? I am getting sick and tired waking up to 10
worms crawling on my kitchen floor.

Easy, fill in the holes and cracks. It'll help keep out ants, spiders,
rodents, and all kind of other animals, too.

steve

Doug Kanter 21-03-2005 09:45 PM

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
After a 20 minute rain, my driveway and patio are literally covered
with hundreds of worms, all heading for my house. They find tiny
holes/cracks on the outside of the house and crawl inside, where they
completely freak out my 12-year old daughter.

We are amazed at the quantity of earthworms that seem to be
concentrated around our house. Is there any way to prevent the worms
from invading our house? I am getting sick and tired waking up to 10
worms crawling on my kitchen floor.

Easy, fill in the holes and cracks. It'll help keep out ants, spiders,
rodents, and all kind of other animals, too.

steve

And, if you can't get the cracks filled quickly enough, a temporary fix
would be to sprinkle salt on the ground each crack. Regular table salt will
work. Just be careful around any prize plants you may have.

Alternative: Know any fishermen? Free worms. Life doesn't get any better
than that.

Lar 21-03-2005 10:59 PM

In article .com,
says...
:) We are amazed at the quantity of earthworms that seem to be
:) concentrated around our house. Is there any way to prevent the worms
:) from invading our house? I am getting sick and tired waking up to 10
:) worms crawling on my kitchen floor.
:)
:)
Might check the weather stripping around the kitchen door. If the gaps
happen to be weep holes, don't seal them up but rather use a plastic
mesh or a screened plug(not steel wool)to keep out critters.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Tex John 22-03-2005 02:22 PM

I was just about to suggest steel or copper scrub pads...why do you say not?

You definately don't want to seal your weepholes...

Thx,
John
(who recognizes Lar as a smart Texan from a no-bugs NG!)

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
says...

Lar 22-03-2005 02:40 PM

In article ,
says...
:) I was just about to suggest steel or copper scrub pads...why do you say not?
:)
:) You definately don't want to seal your weepholes...
:)
:)
When they oxidise you will have either a rust stain or a the green
copper stain on the house. You should be able to find a galvanized mesh.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Doug Kanter 22-03-2005 03:25 PM

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
:) I was just about to suggest steel or copper scrub pads...why do you
say not?
:)
:) You definately don't want to seal your weepholes...
:)
:)
When they oxidise you will have either a rust stain or a the green
copper stain on the house. You should be able to find a galvanized mesh.

Plastic window screen, sold off a roll at any decent hardware store.