Old 28-03-2005, 07:23 AM
cat daddy

Default Alfalfa Tea

Has anyone made fermented alfalfa tea? I want to use it to feed pecan
trees. They say you'll know when it's ready............

Old 28-03-2005, 03:49 PM
cat daddy

"escape" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:23:27 -0600, "cat daddy"

opined:

Has anyone made fermented alfalfa tea? I want to use it to feed pecan
trees. They say you'll know when it's ready............

a simple search brought up about 50 websites which answer this, but this

is the
most simple:

In a 5-gallon bucket, put 1 cup alfalfa meal. Fill bucket with water and

let it
sit overnight. The result will be a thick tea. Apply generously to the

root
area of shrubs and flowers or use as a foliar spray after straining.

Yep, I know how to make it from info on the web..... }:-) I've used
soaked alfalfa pellets as a compost starter in the past. The one I'm going
to follow is to take a 30 gallon trash can, cover tightly, and let it
ferment for a week. Most of the sites hint at what it will smell like, which
could be described as recreating a cow's stomach with the resulting smell of
manure. I hope to get a 50lb. bag today and I'll also be adding Epsom salt.
http://www.nurserysite.com/clubs/peninsular/tea.html

We're already using coffee grounds (~200 lbs. per tree) for slow release
nitrogen and zinc, and I wanted a quick boost of nitrogen as well as the
triacontanol growth stimulant and other trace goodies that alfalfa meal
promises.

So, I was wondering if the fermentation process was worth the wait,
considering. I'm a serial aerobic compost tea maker, so I'm looking forward
to adding this stuff to my organic arsenal and am fishing for comments about
it......

Old 28-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Toni

"cat daddy" wrote in message

So, I was wondering if the fermentation process was worth the wait,
considering. I'm a serial aerobic compost tea maker, so I'm looking

forward
to adding this stuff to my organic arsenal and am fishing for comments

about
it......

I've made it from both meal and from pellets but have never let it ferment.
What is the supposed benefit of this?
And a really tight cover is a good idea- the latch batch I made found a
fruit rat swimming in it :-0

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 28-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Starlord

It will smell like someone took a look sized pee in it! I make the tea for
my plants and I have the mix sit out in the hot mojave desert sun and I have
to do it out in my desert field as it can stink to the sky. Plus I use HAY
and the hay is usefull for building new beds, I lay down the used hay and
pile the dirt over it, my iris love it. I have used 2lt soda pop bottles to
put the tea in, closed the cap and set out in the sun for a week, almost
need a gas mask when I open them to use the tea.

Old 29-03-2005, 06:55 AM
cat daddy

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"cat daddy" wrote in message

So, I was wondering if the fermentation process was worth the wait,
considering. I'm a serial aerobic compost tea maker, so I'm looking

forward
to adding this stuff to my organic arsenal and am fishing for comments

about
it......

I've made it from both meal and from pellets but have never let it

ferment.
What is the supposed benefit of this?

I suppose merely soaking it doesn't release all the goodies into the
water.

From the website:
"Dry alfalfa is a good slow-release source of nitrogen, but since you will
be "digesting" it by letting it ferment in water, the resulting tea is a
soluable, fast-acting nitrogen source."

Now I'm wondering if making it aerobic with an airstone would be good,
bad or indifferent, just like compost tea..........

Old 29-03-2005, 07:01 AM
cat daddy

I like the idea of the soda bottles for small batches in my own garden. I
thought of transporting it in 6 gallon water cans in my car, but I think
I'll make it onsite at the dog park. I guess I'll also have to apply it at
night after all the dogs have gone home, as I suspect some might be enticed
to roll in it......

Old 29-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Starlord

Alfalfa is a Nigon fixer in the soil, much like clover, you would have to
add sugar to it.

My best back of it I do the following:

In a steel tub I place alfafa ( I use raw HAY ) and I fill it with water,
making sure that the hay is well soaked.

I let that sit for about an hour, I then use plactic buckets and by hand I
slowly remove the hay, squeeing it to take out most of the water. I get the
steams, and the leaves form a fine mash.

The hay and leaves go into a 55gal trash can to be hauled out to my garden
and used. The water mix I then put back in the steel tub and I add one or
two hansfull of steer manure and mix it in good.

I then let this sit for another hour, I then repeat what I did with the hay.
I then take the tea that has been made and put it in soda pop plastic
bottles which I take out by the garden and for one day, starting in the am
let them cook in the high mojave desert sun, sometimes reaching 100F
outside.

I then that night, place the bottles in a area out of the sun and use them
during the summer.

"cat daddy" wrote in message

I suppose merely soaking it doesn't release all the goodies into the
water.

From the website:

Old 29-03-2005, 04:26 PM
cat daddy

"escape" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:49:04 -0600, "cat daddy"

opined:

[...]

I would not make a anaerobic tea using anything anymore. Not after

they've
found how wonderful aerobic tea has been. I think you should make that

same
aerobic tea using alfalfa, not that smelly stuff.

You know, that's what I'm thinking, unless the advantage is making a lot
of ammonia. It should still infuse the tea with all the trace elements. I
think I'm going to to going into mass tea production. I need some more
airstones.

Old 29-03-2005, 11:30 PM
cat daddy

You know, this brings to mind all the stuff one reads about regarding
teas and bacteria (even paghat's info about dogs peeing in the grass). Is
there really any "bad" soil microbes if one's use is under particular
conditions? Years ago, my aunt and uncle had an open cesspit in Corpus
Christi (over beach sand) and it was the greenest spot in the yard. Effluent
here is treated anaerobically first.
Obviously, you've had success with your method. Thanks for the info.
For myself, I just bought a $20 dual aquarium air pump, splitters and
airstones for four 5-gallon buckets to make aerobic alfalfa tea. Two others
will make compost tea.
The 50 lb. sack of alfalfa meal cost me $9.00, no tax on farm feed...

"cat daddy" wrote in message

I suppose merely soaking it doesn't release all the goodies into the
water.

From the website:

Old 30-03-2005, 04:41 AM
cat daddy

"escape" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:26:17 -0600, "cat daddy"

opined:

You know, that's what I'm thinking, unless the advantage is making a

lot
of ammonia. It should still infuse the tea with all the trace elements. I
think I'm going to to going into mass tea production. I need some more
airstones.

It's not just the ammonia, it's the anaerobic microbes which are not as
beneficial, possibly harmful to certain other biota in the soil. Studies

(and I
don't have one off hand to quote) have shown that aerobic tea is superior

stagnant teas.

You're preaching to the choir here, V. And, I like the way the compost
tea smells when it gets close. Sweet and syrupy, I almost want to taste it
myself.

If you are going into mass production you will need much more than air

stones!
You will need to buy or make a brewer which can brew at least fifty

gallons.
Also, the quality of the organic matter you use in the brew is rather

important,
if you want to make a good tea. There's a lot to it.

Hmm, I'm not going to try to be a Dromgoole here, as I basically shoot
for the lazy gardener's ideal of effort versus results...... I'm set up for
six 5 gallon buckets for now. I use my own compost and throw in some
Ladybug or similar potting mix if I have it and maybe a drizzle of Medina
Plus.

If you are going to use alfalfa pellets, you can buy them at any good feed
store, PetSmart should sell bags or any farm supply store will sell it in
pellets or cubes. I prefer the cubes, myself. I would also suggest you

use
some molasses in the mix since alfalfa is a high nitrogen content.

I was very pleased with the 50 lb. bag of meal I got from Buck Moore Feed
Store on Lamar today. Nine bucks....... I also got a 50 lb. bag of dried
molasses for $13.00. They're small and quaint, but I like 'em.
I read that the pellet making process uses heat that might destroy some
of the nutrition, so that's why I searched for the meal. I used to use
non-sulfur molasses from the grocery, but I started using horticultural
molasses from Big Red Sun as an excuse to go there and buy something I can
afford.........

I'll report back how it turns out.

Old 30-03-2005, 05:11 AM
Starlord

I've got close to 300 happy iris that love what I give them!

Old 30-03-2005, 05:38 AM
cat daddy

That's what I'm saying. If anaerobic tea was that bad, they would be
unhappy iris. And if dog pee killed grass, the few patches where all the
dogs go at the park wouldn't be green. The best advice is to just go
organic, however one gets there.

Old 30-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Starlord

The reason I use it so much is because it's CHEAP. I live on a fixed income
and when I can afford to buy other plant foods I do, but most of the time I
have to make do with cheap stuff and that means the a. tea.

"cat daddy" wrote in message
That's what I'm saying. If anaerobic tea was that bad, they would be
unhappy iris. And if dog pee killed grass, the few patches where all the
dogs go at the park wouldn't be green. The best advice is to just go
organic, however one gets there.

[IMG] code is On

Dumb Illegal Workers At It Again? RAW ALFALFA SPROUTS LINKED TO SALMONELLA CONTAMINATION [email protected] Gardening 39 03-05-2009 09:05 PM
Alfalfa Tea Rolling Thunder Roses 3 29-05-2005 10:06 PM
Aerobic Alfalfa Tea- 1st batch cat daddy Texas 8 09-04-2005 06:51 PM
Aerobic Alfalfa Tea- 1st batch cat daddy Gardening 8 09-04-2005 06:51 PM
Alfalfa Tea cat daddy Texas 14 30-03-2005 04:04 PM